Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Know the Novel Part 2



Hi guys!
 I hope you’ve all had a fantastic week leading up to Thanksgiving. Tomorrow we head off for Lincoln to celebrate with Jarod’s mom’s side of the family. It’s been two years since we’ve met with them, so it’s going to be fun for everyone to meet Henry. I’ve had a great, albeit busy, week of deer hunting, Christmas shopping, and spending time with family.


 For today’s post I’m taking part in the second installation of the Know The Novel linkup, hosted by Christine.

1. How’s the writing going?
Hehe what writing? I did good the first half of the month. It wasn’t perfect or pretty, but I was on track. Then I got sick, deer season started, and Jarod’s mom got in from Washington, so I have done little writing since. I’m sitting at 17,807 words with Bad Boy and 17,787 with Mad Hatter. I’m definitely not going to win nano. But you know, I’m ok with that. I’m glad for the words I’ve got down. I’ve run into some things with the stories that I need to deal with and have learned a lot about where my characters need to be. Once the holiday festivities are over Monday I’m going to start back writing again like I’m supposed to and be happy with whatever the outcome is.

2. What’s been the most fun aspect about writing this novel so far?
Um...honestly, there wasn’t much fun in it. Bad Boy is nearing the end and I’m trying to tie up all the plot threads. Mad Hatter is falling flat of what I had planned. There were a few snarky parts I had fun with, and it was fun to reach 10k on both pieces.

3. Has your novel surprised you in any way?
Yes. Mad Hatter surprised me when I couldn’t find Hatter’s voice. I’ve had such a clear picture of him in my mind, for years, and now that I’m trying to write him it’s not working. It also surprised me that he isn’t a love interest.

4. What do you think of your characters at this point? Who’s your favorite to write about?
I love Brass, even though he’s being a boring, temperamental little brat. I’ve got some plot issues to work out with him. Once that’s resolved I think he’ll go back to having my undying love. And I’m really enjoying Molly. Way more than I thought I would, actually.

5. If you were transported into your novel and became any one of the characters, which one do you think you’d be? Would you take any different actions than they have?
I desperately want to say Brass or Malec (Hatter) but I’m afraid I wouldn’t be either of those. I’d be Tamille and Molly. They’re both fairly reasonable, but when they do get emotional it’s over the top. Bossy, motherly. Me, essentially. I think if I was Tamille I wouldn't have kissed Brass. And if I were Molly, I would have told my boyfriend what is going on instead of hiding it.

6. Give us the first sentence or paragraph and then 2 (or 3!) more favorite snippets!
*sweats*
 
Bad Boy
I've posted the very first paragraph of Bad Boy before, so this is the first paragraph of what I've written in it for NaNo.
 
His skin crawled like insects had replaced the nerves in his body and he stood quickly. “I need some fresh air.”
He ducked out into the hallway without waiting for an answer from Tamille, and headed out to the street.
He should have known better than to allow her so much importance to him. He’d changed his entire plan and strategy to get her back first, and now he was reaping the consequences. He should have known.


Brass put the wrapped cheese in his pocket and started back down the street toward the inn. So they wanted to try and catch Brass Talan, did they? Well maybe he would take their bait and see if they were strong enough to reel him in.


“Do you think he’ll come?” The same nervous voice who had spoken first asked.
Brass started toward them. “For the chance of making three Lords squirm? He wouldn’t dream of missing it.”
The three men spun to face him but it took a moment for anyone to find their bravery and tongue.
 
Mad Hatter.
 

She must have been high when she decided she could run a diner. Molly grabbed the carafe of coffee and headed back out to the tables. They were chuck full, mostly of old men who didn’t want to cook their own meals, but there were also some women who didn’t want to cook either, and a few younger couples.
 
 
The little bell on the door announced an incoming customer. Molly turned to look and nearly dropped her stack of dishes. What the heck was he wearing? The man who walked in was a stranger. Blakely Nebraska only boasted a population of two hundred and she knew them all. None of them dressed like that. He wore a ratty grayish jacket covered in more buttons and zippers than it seemed to merit, and perched on his shaggy brown hair was an honest to goodness top hat that could have belonged to Abe Lincoln.


Molly pulled her notepad from her grease stained apron pocket and walked over to him. “Hi. Can I get you started with something to drink?”
“Do you have tea?”
His accent was strange and one she couldn’t quite place though she was sure she recognized it. “Ice tea, yes.”
She started to turn away but his voice stopped her. “No, not iced tea. Whoever came up with this idea of putting ice into perfectly good tea is an abomination.”
Molly raised an eyebrow at him.
He raised a pierced eyebrow right back at her.

 
7. Have you come across any problem areas?
Haha hahah ahahaha. All the areas. Malec is flatter than road kill. The story lacks color.
Brass is across the country from where he’s supposed to be in the outline. Tamille is stuck in a spiritual hard place that I’m not sure how to get her out of. It’s a mess.

 8. What’s been your biggest victory with writing this novel at this point?

Making it this far without dying.

 
9. Be honest, have you killed any characters off yet?


10. Take us on a tour of a what a normal writing day for this particular novel has looked like. Where do you write? What time of day? Alone or with others? Is a lot of coffee (or some other drink) consumed? Do you light candles? Play music? Get distracted by social media (*cough, cough*)? Tell all!
Well, when I was writing, I’d get up at six in the morning and write until Henry woke up. Then I’d write what I could throughout the day on my phone, or on my laptop during nap time. Evenings were for catchup if I missed word count. Most of the writing was done at the kitchen table or in the living room. And ungodly amounts of coffee were drank.

So that’s the extent of my NaNo experience.
In other news, the launch date for Five Poisoned Apples is set for December 1st, and we are having a party to celebrate. Be sure to join the Rooglewood Fairytale Contest page on Facebook by 7 pm EST. We are doing author Q&A, games (the prizes you guys. So good), and behind the scenes sneak peeks. It’s going to be great.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone! Don’t eat too much! Joking.

 

 

 
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. You did amazing weather you win Nano or not. I honestly don't know how you juggle everything. I can barely make word count and I only have a few responsibilities. You're awesome don't forget that! Also those snippets!!! I love all of them. I need to read these stories. Loved getting a peak at Hatter, I love him already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I'm glad you like them! I can't wait for you to see them. Lol he's such a turd.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, I loved your snippets! (And your answer to question nine made my day.) I've honestly never read any of the Rooglewood contest books, but if you've written something for it, I might have to check it out! Best of luck with finishing up November :)

    Eleanor | My Know the Novel Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you got a kick out of it.
      To be honest, neither have I. I'd love it if you would! Thanks!

      Delete