Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Procrastination 101



Hi guys!
So true story, I had all of these things planned to do for this Wednesday. Pick up fence, get Henry's hair cut, get my horse's hooves trimmed, etc. etc. None of those things involved remembering to write a blog post.
But that's ok. I got this. Today we're going to talk about procrastination.
It's going to be info packed and fast paced, so buckle in.
1. Accountability.
This is the first step, in my opinion. You have to be talking about your work.
"Yeah, I've got two articles due, and a brainstorming session that needs finished. Didn't get much done today. It's a start."
Opening up to people about what you're working on gives them the opportunity to ask you about it later. Spur motivation.
Talking to people also gives you a support group. Tell your editors you've come to hate your article and just want to light it on fire. Tell them its not in your destiny to finish it, and you can hear the sea calling your name. They'll understand. They'll probably throw you imaginary motivational chocolate, or maybe they won't respond at all. Silence is golden, you know.
2. Big Projects.
There's nothing like a big project to help the procrastination along. So seek out those massive, all-day tasks and volunteer for them. It's empowering to look back on all you've accomplished.
"I didn't get that article done this week ... but I branded 200 calves and moved two batches of cows."
Power.
3. Get your work out.
A big boost when dealing with procrastination is to get the project out. Lay it out on the table, leave the word document open overnight. Whatever it takes to make you feel like you've accomplished something just by casting a cursory glance it's way.
4. Read.
In all the articles for helping writers, one of the answers is always Read. And I think that's good advice. Need inspiration? Read. Need to rewind after finishing a novel? Read. Dealing with crippling procrastination? You got it. Read.
Start a new series. One with snarky characters and a brilliant premise that you absolutely cannot put down. Time will just fly by and you won't even feel the procrastination.
5. Schedule.
I'm currently reading Woman on Top: How to win in a woman's way by Karen Koenig, and in the latest chapter it talks about blocking out time for each task so you don't overwhelm yourself.
It's an excellent notion.
I love to put all of my tasks and deadlines on the calendar and watch as they come closer and closer. It's a game of how fast can Maddie write something and still turn out quality content. The thrill, y'all.
Not only does this aid the procrastination process, but it also gives a good kick to anxiety.
Bring it on, deadlines.
6. Set yourself up for success.
To be a successful procrastinator, you have to prepare. You can't win if you start out defeated. I coated my fingers with super glue yesterday, and man can I tell you I've had a successful procrastination spree ever since. I couldn't feel anything but hard ridges of glue, and it was driving me crazy. Don't even think about typing an article, because I was busy picking at it trying to get it off.
It did come off this morning finally, so I'll have to think of something else to set myself up for a successful day.
7. Blog about it.
Nothing says procrastination like blogging about not writing an article, instead of just writing it.
Prove me wrong.
Oh what, you thought I was going to write a post about beating procrastination?
Perish the thought!
I don't know anything about that.
Write what you know, people.

3 comments: