Thursday, February 3, 2022

One of Us is Lying Book Review

 

So I am WAY behind on this book. It’s been out for years, and I just now read it, but man, was it worth the wait. 

The Blurb:

Pay close attention and you might solve this.
On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.
Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.
Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.
Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.
Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.
And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High's notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn't an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he'd planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who's still on the loose?

Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them. 



My Thoughts: 

It has been a long time since I left the realm of fantasy and ventured into contemporary, and let me just say, I loved it. 


This book was full of a lot of twists and turns, and it was really fun to guess what was going on. I was right about several things, but they came about in such unexpected ways, so I wouldn’t call the plot predictable. Even when I had suspicions I couldn’t figure out how it could have possibly been pulled off. 

I loved the cast of characters. Especially how one minute I was convinced each and every one of them was innocent, and then the next I was sure they were all the killer. The secrets and motives and personalities were all so rich. 

Nate is, of course, my favorite. I will love him forever. 

I just started book two in the series and can’t wait to see where the mystery goes now. 

Just a heads up that there is some strong language, and innuendos between gay and straight couples, but nothing too graphic, in my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment