Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Help a Gal Out?




Hello everyone! 

Today, I’d like to ask your help.

I’m slowly making my way through some rewrites of Blood and Dust. (Excruciatingly slow, okay? Like, a paragraph per day) 

This is the blurb for it, if you’re not familiar. 

Cole Burns has a gun and a grudge, and that's all you need in post apocalyptic Cody, Wyoming to get yourself killed. Feisty saloon gal, Calgary Williams, told him so too, but Cole is too thick headed to listen. Trying to weave through a web of gang wars, gun men, and old lies can get real slippery when you're trying not to fall in love.

With the rewrites I have planned, that blurb will be changed a bit, but the essentials are still there. Cole travels to Wyoming where things have mysteriously never recovered from World War 3, and has reverted to a deadly version of the Old West.
He starts out just trying to reunite with his dad, but realizes pretty quickly that something is horribly wrong and starts trying to help Calgary and others escape. 

What I need you for is to help me flesh out a new character I’m adding. 

(Both pictures are from Pinterest. They’re not mine. And the outfits and such aren’t in context, the face just looks like him) 


Jason Comstock is sixteen/seventeen years old—roughly a year younger than Cole. 
The two are actually half brothers, but only Jason knows that at the beginning. 
He grew up in Wyoming and has thoroughly adopted the wild, lawless behavior that’s glorified there. 
He’s got a chip on his shoulder against their dad, but unlike Cole, it’s because he had to be raised by him, rather than feeling abandoned by him. 
He is a member of the Gun gang, but has a friend in a rival gang, so his commitment gets questioned a lot, and he can get himself into trouble over it pretty quickly. 
Where Cole is a bit more careful at thinking things through, Jason is hotheaded and loud. 
He’s got a girl (as yet unnamed) that he really does like, but he’s also very awful at expressing himself—especially in a nice way, so you’re not always sure he truly cares about her. 

And that’s all I’ve got. 
I could technically start filling out character questionnaires for him, and I probably will at some point, but some of the questions are kind of pointless, so I thought maybe you guys might have some questions about him that popped to mind as you read his description. 

It’s been just short of a century since I’ve done a character interview like this, but sometimes they work out really well, so I’m gonna give it a try. 

If you have any questions or suggestions for Jason, drop them in the comments, and I’ll answer them in one of the upcoming posts. 

Thanks guys! 

2 comments:

  1. Omigoodness! I already love this guy! I'm so bad at coming up with good questions.

    1. Would you leave the Guns if you could?
    3. How is your relationship with your Dad?
    4. What is something you would fight for?
    5. What is it that you love about this girl?
    6. What do you think of Cole?

    ReplyDelete