Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Three Tips to Keep You Writing This Summer



 Hi guys! 

I hope you have all been having a great summer (especially since it’s nearly over. What????). 
Ours has been full and busy, but definitely a fun one. 

Amidst doctor visits, fairs, family gatherings, and farm work, it’s been a little hard to get any writing done. 
But somehow I’ve managed to putt along and make it to chapter four in my rewrite of Blood and Dust. It’s a little traumatizing, because the story was monstrously large to begin with, and the word count keeps growing. I’m really hoping when I get to the meat of the story that I can start slashing it down to a proper size, as that was one of the issues that kept coming up with the agents who requested a full. 

Today I thought I’d talk a little bit about my writing process, and how to carve time out to write while it’s summer. With a little dedication and perseverance, summer can be a productive season for writers, no matter how busy our schedules get. 

Tip #1. Set an alarm. 
You have to just decide you’re going to get up early and write, because summer days are full of distractions and obligations. I like to set my alarm for 6:30 and then hit snooze every ten minutes until about 7:20. This must be a good technique, because my husband uses it for his farm work too.

Tip #2. Create a routine.
Writers are creatures of habit and OCD tendencies. So it’s important to create a routine for yourself that gets you mentally prepared to write. After I crawl out of bed and get dressed, I like to find breakfast and something to drink. Preferably something hot and caffeinated, but anything wet will do. The corn is tasseling here, so it’s also helpful if I blow my nose about eight million times before sitting down. Can’t really write if you can’t breathe. Then it’s time to fire up the computer. I’m ready...just as soon as it goes through all of its updates and powers on. If you’re you, that’s when you can start writing. If you’re me, that’s when Henry is going to wake up. 

Tip #3. Be flexible. 
You might have to use different methods to write. The notes app on your phone is great. It’s mobile, small, and gives you access to research and Pinterest inspiration...that recipe looks really good. I should make that for dinner. Do I have the ingredients? No. Shoot. I’ll have to go to the store right now. I can write later. 

I actually do have to go to the store now guys. I’m out of bananas and have had no breakfast, and I don’t have the main ingredient for dinner. So this trip is actually going to help me get some writing done today, as it will remove distractions. Wish me luck. 

How do you find time to write in the summer? 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your fitting writing in. It's inspiring!
    Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the skin of my teeth XD
      I'm glad people got something out of the tips. I was fueled solely by sarcasm that day lol

      Delete
  2. Great tips! For me, summer is my time off of writing due to volunteering at summer camp for the season, but these are definitely good ideas to implement any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh fun! I've always wanted to volunteer at camp.

      Delete