Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Exciting News and the Subsequent Screaming



Hi guys! 
I break this hiatus to bring you exciting news—I signed with an agent! 



The Story: 

I believe I mentioned early this year that I pitched my Alice in Wonderland spinoff, The Queens Three, on Twitter during #FaithPitch. I got two requests from agents, so sent out my query letters to them. About that same time, another agent turned down Blood and Dust, but invited me to query her with a different project, since she liked my writing. So I sent her a query also. 

Within a week of #FaithPitch, both agents responded. One passed on the project, but let me know that she had passed it along to another agent she thought might like it—which was awesome of her. The second asked for a full. 

Fast forward a while, and I get an email from Kenzi Nevins, of Cyle Young Literary Elite (C.Y.L.E) asking to see the full. She had been passed my query from the original agent and was really intrigued. So I sent it to her and waited. 

Last week I got another email from her. Apparently her emails to me had been bouncing (horror of all horrors) but she was trying again because SHE WANTED TO REPRESENT ME AND MY BOOK. 

Cue the screaming. 

My mom wouldn’t answer the phone, and Jarod was excited but not exactly sure what I was talking about, but luckily I have some excellent writing friends to scream with (you gals are the best). 

After a good bit of screaming and some heart palpitations, we set up a time for a phone call, and had a lovely chat. I was terrified for the first 45 seconds, and then things calmed down and I felt really good by the end of the conversation. Kenzi is super easy to talk to, which is great. 

After the phone call I spoke with one of Kenzi’s other clients about what it’s like working with her, then emailed the two other agents to let them know I had an offer, which I’m told is standard query etiquette. 

The next day I heard back from both of them. Both had some very nice and helpful things to say about the book. One passed due to lack of time, and the other made her own offer of representation. 

Cue more screaming and heart palpitations. 

So I scoured the internet looking at agency websites, and recent books, and all that good stuff. I talked to some of my writing friends, my family, and prayed on it. 

After a few days of stewing on it, I emailed Kenzi to let her know I accepted her offer. 

*Happy Scream* 

She sent over the contract, I asked a few questions, and then ladies and gentlemen
 I SIGNED IT. 

I am THRILLED to be working with Kenzi, and so excited to start taking steps to bringing this (and hopefully many more) books to life. 


7 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH MADDIE!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED AND PROUD OF YOU! That's huge--CYLE sounds like such a cool agency (I've thought of pitching to them myself, haha) and I wish you the absolute best of luck getting your book out there! You entirely deserve this *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Yes! I've been very happy with the agency thus far. They were super helpful answering all my questions. I'm so excited!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm new here! Even though I haven't been following you for very long, I can't help but be excited for you! Congratulations, and I look forward to reading your book someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an author's dream come true! I am so excited for you and I can't wait to read The Queens Three. From what I have read of this story, it's sounds really interesting and something I would definitely like to read someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am late so very late! But omigoodness Maddie! I'm not crying you are!!
    I definitely knew this was going to happen at some point. You've been working so hard and it paid off. Plus your super talented too, so someone was bound to notice. I can not wait til I can buy a physical copy. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally acceptable considering it's an Alice in Wonderland book ;)
      Thank you so so much! You're the best, and like 70% of the credit for this book just flat out goes to you and Jenelle because I probably wouldn't have finished I if you guys hasn't liked it XD

      Delete