Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Beautiful Books 2

It's time for the second leg of the Beautiful Books linkup, hosted by the lovelies mentioned up there in the picture.
 
Beautiful Books is designed with NaNoWriMo in mind but you don't have to be doing NaNo to take part.
 
Since I finished my Snow White retelling (and sent it off today) this post will just focus on  my NaNo novel, The Guns.
 
Here are the questions:
 
Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?
My mental state is good, as far as writing goes. As far as life goes, I'm finding I have a lot in common with Cruella Deville. Never thought that would happen.
But no, I'm pretty tickled with how the novel is going. I know it's gonna need some work when its through, but that's ok. I'm getting it written. Very rapidly, I might add.
 
What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?
Cole studied the faded map in his hands. It was thin and flimsy, and most of the lines were rubbed away with age. He hadn’t encountered a town since yesterday, but couldn’t be certain if that meant there weren’t any, or if he’d just missed them. According to what he could see on the map, Cody should be the next stop. He’d left behind the skeletal remains of Thermopolis’ waterparks, the sulfur from the hot springs clinging to everything. Cody should be next. He just hoped he hadn’t missed it. Mitch’s directions had been vague at best. Of course, it had been more than twenty years since he’d been near the place, so even the landmarks he could remember might have long since vanished. But Cole knew which highway he was on. Or, he thought he did anyway. It should take him right into Cody. And then what?
Who’s your current favourite character in your novel?
Calgary, my feisty saloon gal. But Cole is a close second. He just needs developed a little better and I'll be madly in love.
 
What do you love about your novel so far?
The blend of wild west and modern style gangs. Its so fun to play with.
 
Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?
If I have I haven't noticed them yet. I'm not looking back until it's finished. Check with me in December.
 
What is your favourite to write: beginning, middle, or end — and why?
Middle. Because you can just go with it. Beginnings have to hook you, and endings have to tie all the strings. Middles get to ramble a bit.
 
What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!
I get up and do chores, then wait for Henry to take his midmorning nap, at which point I set up the laptop in the kitchen and write between 1-2 thousand words. Then I leave the laptop on all day and write as time permits. Sometimes I play my instruments only playlist in the background. Something about the Braveheart soundtrack really helps the word count. Snacks? I've been eating a lot of deer jerky and summer sausage, and drinking coffee. Lots of coffee. But I was doing that before nano, so not sure if that counts. You are not getting a picture of my kitchen counter right now.
 
How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?
I'm somewhere in the middle? I don't like blast it out to the world on say, Facebook. But Skye from Ink Castles, and my sisters get to hear about it and will be able to read it later on, and Jarod gets to hear a bit, though I keep him somewhat in the dark cuz right now my thoughts are all muddled and he might laugh.
 
What keeps you writing even when it’s hard?
The fame and glory that comes with NaNo. Basically I'm stubborn. I decided to do it, therefor I must, or die trying.
 
What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?
To paraphrase, Go after inspiration with a stick.
Readers have to use their imaginations too. Don't spell it all out for them.
Just Do It.

4 comments:

  1. Love the beginning, so cool getting to see a snippet. I am excited for this one if you couldn't tell. I like Calgary already. I am so honored to be one of the few, who gets the inside the scoop.
    You are going to crush Nano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a western! Sounds interesting :D. Good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete