Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Check Your Junk Mail, and Other Life Lessons

Hello everyone!

Today I’m coming to you with a very important public service announcement:
CHECK YOUR JUNK MAIL.

 A little over a week ago I sent back the revised version of Red as Blood, and had been anxiously waiting to hear back. Every single day I checked my email, but there was nothing there but hoards of unwanted sales by Bath and Body Works, and Menards. Has anyone ever noticed that when you actually want good mail, there never is any?

 While waiting on my feedback email, I decided it was time to clear the junk box out. I usually let it build up a bit, then mass delete so it doesn’t slow down my email app.
So, while repeatedly hitting delete on my phone, I happened to see Ann Elisabeth’s name (she’s the one who heads up the Rooglewood team).
 There is was. My email if been waiting for.
In the junk mail file.

 How did that happen? I really have no idea, as she is saved as a contact, and has been ever since I entered this thing.
I panicked and checked what date she’d sent it, but it was only a few hours old, so at least I didn’t leave her waiting.

 I am thrilled to say, she was very happy with the improvements I made, and more revisions are not necessary.
Red as Blood will now move on in the next steps of the process.

 But the story doesn’t end there. No, in fact, it gets better.
A few weeks ago, I also applied for a writing internship with the online magazine StoryEmbers, a monthly publication dedicated to turning out quality Christian material.

 I wasn’t sure if they would send an email if they didn’t accept me, but I was keeping an eye on my inbox just in case. I watched my inbox because all of the StoryEmbers, and application confirmation emails all went straight to my inbox.
So last night I was more carefully checking my junk mail before doing a mass delete, and I caught the word 'intern.'
My heart stopped.

 I am so very happy to announce that I got accepted for a six month internship writing articles for StoryEmbers.

 I haven’t stopped shrieking yet.

In other news, the physical mail has been pretty promising lately too.
 Am I the only one who still gets excited by old fashioned snail mail?
If you follow me on any social media platform you already know, but I was involved in a YA summer reads party on Facebook, and my name was drawn to win a gift pack from Taylor Bennett. The theme was Hawaii, in honor of her debut novel, Porch Swing Girl.
Cue my mommy brain kicking in, I totally forgot I won.
So I was thrilled and confused when I got this package in the mail.
As I opened it and started pulling away packing material this heavenly smell greeted me and I suddenly remembered. I won!

Here’s a picture of all the goodies. Pineapple greeting cards. How cute is that? I just downloaded the book now, and can’t wait to start reading it.

I also managed to eek out the last 500 words I needed to reach my 25k goal for Camp Nano, late last night, just before bed, so I’m pretty happy with myself there. It was hard this month, and three days ago I wasn’t sure I was going to make it at all. 


 Now I’m off to my moms house for some non writing related projects.

So the moral of the story is this:

If a book has an amazing smelling theme, buy it.
They’ve made entire movies about what can happen in just three days, so don’t give up.
And lastly, check your junk mail, very carefully.
Who knows what hidden treasures it holds.

2 comments:

  1. So glad your edits are done! Can't wait to see the final product.
    An internship, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you! I bet your going to keep a close eye on that junk mail. XD

    Seems like your having an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!
      I was so excited. Thanks!
      Oh my gosh, yes!
      It has been.

      Delete