Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Cowgirl Up

 
Hello everyone!
Sometimes 4-Wheelers get rowdy

This week I totally threw my laptop in the ditch in favor of spurs and a saddle.
I mean, not literally. I would never throw my laptop anywhere.
But I did all but abandon it on my kitchen table.
Several years ago (seven, I think) I bought a colt and raised him, and my dad helped me break him to ride, and he was just starting to catch onto it when I got a full time job, started dating, got married, etc.
Training with him
So for the last two years my horse has been at my dad's house, eating hay and getting fat and lazy. Not a bad life, in his opinion.
 
His name is Flint, and he is absolutely named after Louis L'amour's character. I considered leaving him a stud for several years before I finally caved and gelded him, but his registered name was going to be The Kid at the Crossing until I did that. (Read the book)
Google

A few weeks ago I hauled Flint to a local guy who works for a feedlot and had him ride him for me for two weeks, just to get his brain back on the idea of working for a living, and then I brought him to a pasture near my house, where Jarod's aunt was nice enough to let me keep him.
My saddle has been living in the kitchen

We started preconditioning calves this week-- which is just giving them summertime medicine, and putting stuff on to keep lice and flies etc. from getting on them so bad. So I've been able to ride him several days this week and help round up the cows to bring to the corral for working.
Shawny
Scott
Tanner
Rosie
Me! And Bug.
Henry even came out for a little bit! He likes Shawny.


That's the whole crew. But no one ever wants their picture taken, so they don't look.
 
It has been so fun. I didn't realize how badly I missed riding until I got back to it.

I was a little nervous, because I hadn't rode a horse in a year, before this. I was just pregnant with Henry last time I crawled on a horse. Besides that, it had been at least two years since I'd rode Flint specifically, and I didn't know if we'd really remember each other and get along alright, but I shouldn't have worried.

He did so good, and I'm pretty sure he's my favorite horse ever. And, in my humble opinion, I didn't do so bad either. I at least didn't forget everything I've ever known about horses, which was sort of my irrational fear leading up to climbing in the saddle.

It's kind of hard to get any writing done on horseback, but I did manage to squeak out my minimum word count goals. I kind of had to, because Jarod told me I couldn't be a writer, and a rider. (Jokingly.) So, ha! to him. Proved ya wrong.

What did you guys do this week? Is there anything you haven't done in awhile that you're dying to get back at? Talk to me!

2 comments:

  1. Flint's a beautiful horse! Last time I got to ride a horse was at a summer camp I was working at, it was a blast though. I think if anyone can balance writing and riding, it's you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it in winter, because he turns coal black. Oh, that’s awesome! Aw, thanks!

      Delete