Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Know the Novel 1


Hi guys!

 So NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow! I’m so excited. Today I’m gonna talk about my project(s).
Christine took up the banner after Beautiful Books went on hiatus and she’s turned out this amazing link-up designed to help authors talk about their nano projects. This is a three part series that will take place over the next two months and update you to my progress. This is also the last day for me to join the first linkup, so without a moment to spare, I give you

 Know The Novel

I am /this/ close to finishing Bad Boy, and the pole results were so close, so for Nano I’m going to start by finishing Bad Boy and then dive right into this new story idea. So we’ll see how it goes. I’m a rebel.

Now, for the questions, and answers for each story.


1. What first sparked the idea for this novel?
Bad Boy: Six of Crows. I liked the idea of having a criminal main character, but I preferred one that wasn’t quite so dark as Kaz.

 
Mad Hatter: A prompt and the piece I wrote from it. I can no longer find or remember the prompt, and the snippet I wrote has disappeared, but I know it involved a shaggy haired guy walking into a bar wearing a top hat, and talking in a Chicago accent. He's been the Mad Hatter ever since.


2. Share a blurb!
Bad Boy: When the royal advisor insults him as a common criminal, Brass Talan has no choice but to kidnap the advisors daughter.
But then the trick is keeping her, and an old nemesis is intent on recruiting him for a rebellion he wants nothing to do with. All he wants is to wreak his own destruction his own way. But the game changes when he discovers his captive has no desire to get home, and the rebellion he’s been avoiding all along might just be the weapon he needs.

Mad Hatter: When an eccentric young man sporting a top hat and Chicago accent wanders into Molly’s diner spouting nonsense about tears in the realm, the raven queen, and fae destruction, Molly thinks he’s had too much to drink.
But there’s something odd about the man that she can’t quite explain. Something hovers over him that she can’t quite bring into focus, and he seems to know she can see it.
Then monsters start invading her life. Monsters that no one else can see. Molly has to find the mysterious Hatter and discover what is happening to her world.

3. Where does the story take place? What are some of your favorite aspects about the setting?

Bad Boy:  The Spills. How grungy and cutthroat it is.

Mad Hatter: Molly’s diner and small town Nebraska. I'm excited for the fae realm. All kinds of fun creatures, plus the gossipy out in the sticks feel of little Nebraska.

4. Tell us about your protagonist.

Bad Boy: Brass is a criminal with dreams for a big prize. He's secretly got a good heart. And I mean very secretly. Deep down where he doesn't even know it exists.

Mad Hatter: Molly is rundown, world weary, downtrodden, but when someone believes in her she comes alive and is a bright fun person. This diner is her last chance at making people proud of her, and it's not off to a great start.

5. Who (or what) is the antagonist?
Bad Boy: Fram Dulin, leader of the rebels, is the main antagonist, but also the kind and dukes.

Mad Hatter: The Queen of Ravens.

6. What excites you the most about this novel?
Bad Boy: Brass.

Mad Hatter: Writing Hatter’s crazy character.

7. Is this going to be a series? Standalone? Something else?

Standalone’s all.

8. Are you plotting? Pantsing? Plansting?
Plantsing!!!

9. Name a few things that makes this story unique.

Bad Boy: The Christian theme underlying it. Being from a bad person's POV. Non-magical fantasy.

Mad Hatter: It’s an Alice in wonderland retelling. It’s modern fantasy. The setting (NE)

10. Share a fun “extra” of the story (a song or full playlist, some aesthetics, a collage, a Pinterest board, a map you’ve made, a special theme you’re going to incorporate, ANYTHING you want to share!).

I could totally bombard you with music playlists, pictures, maps, etc. but I'm on a bit of a time crunch, so I'll keep it simple.
You can find Bad Boy's Pinterest board here  and Mad Hatter's here.


Thank you Christine for hosting this link-up! You guys should go check out the other links and read what everyone else is up to.

What about you? What are you planning for November? Are you participating in Nanowrimmo, or do you think those of us who are have lost their minds?
Let me hear your thoughts!
 
 
 
    

4 comments:

  1. SO so excited for this Mad Hatter story! It sounds amazing already!
    still swooning over Bad Boy too of course, but I am obsessed with Alice in Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping I can do it justice with the puny outline I have to work with

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOODNESSSSS. MAD HATTER. ALICE IN WONDERLAND IS LIKE MY FAVORITE THING ON THIS EARTH AND I ADORE ANY AND ALL MAD HATTER-LIKE CHARACTERS SDLKJFLSJDLKJF.


    Ahem. Sorry. I just had to scream for a minute. XD Because THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. I am totally in love with BOTH of these stories. A villainish hero and then an Alice in Wonderland retelling? Like...I am SO here for this YAAAASSS.

    I do hope finishing Bad Boy and then working on Mad Hatter goes absolutely amazingly for you! And thank you for joining my linkup! I loooooved hearing about your stories! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love all things Mad Hatter.
      I hope your nano goes well too!

      Delete