Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Five Ways to Rock Valentine's Day

 
Hi guys!
 
Growing up, Valentine's Day was always a big deal. Us kids would work on our homemade valentines for weeks ahead, specially tailoring them to each member of the family. We had some crazy designs, let me tell ya. Pop ups, 3-D, cut outs. Mom and Dad always got us candy, and it was great.
 
Then for a few years when I was a teenager, Valentine's Day sucked. No boyfriend, and all that.
 
Then me and Jarod had our first date (on Valentine's Day--which he didn't realize) and got married and suddenly Valentine's Day took on a whole new meaning. We tried to get away on actual dates the first couple years. Which didn't happen. Jarod is the only married person on the ranch, and I think sometimes everyone else forgets that I need to spend time with him too, lol. Obviously I spend time with him as much as I can while he's working, but sometimes it just doesn't pan out with Henry, plus, sometimes a person needs something more romantic than chasing cows on a 4-wheeler.
 
So last year we beat the system. My mom took Henry all day for us and I went out with Jarod. We worked a lot, but then later in the afternoon we just disappeared for a few hours. We stopped and got ice cream at Subway, then just took off driving. We didn't go anywhere, or see anything great, but just being away with the two of us was the best.
 
This year I'm taking charge of the day and I've got a nice couple hours planned, and it should be great. So, without further ado, here's my tips on how to enjoy Valentine's Day, be you a single pringle, or an old married couple.
 
1. Shut off the phone.
 
Like, totally off. Pull the SIM card if you have to. Break it in half. You only want good distractions today. (Like the next season on Netflix, or an unexpected kiss) There is nothing worse than just sitting down to watch a movie, all snuggled up on the couch, and then the phone rings. You want to see me come unglued, get me comfy and then call.
 
2. It's all about the food.
 
No matter your relationship status, you cannot go wrong with food. And Valentine's Day is about love. So find food that makes you feel loved. I feel loved when I don't have to cook a gigantic meal. So get the popcorn, the fruit and dip, salami and cheese. Easy, yummy, comfort food. Granted, I am going to make a nice supper tomorrow, but it's something we both love, that is super easy to make. I can just pop it in the oven and curl up while it does its thing.
 
3. Drinks.
 
Can't have food without drinks. Which is why my fridge is full of Code Red Mountain Dew. Red, because it's Valentine's Day.
 
4. Entertainment.
 
Whether it's just you, or two, you can't just sit on the couch all night eating popcorn. Well...I mean you could. But something to go along with is better. Grab a good book, turn on Netflix. OR buy a box of popcorn with a free Redbox coupon on it and get a rental. That's what I'm doing. It doesn't even have to be a romantic movie. I'd take Jason Bourne over most romances any day. There's a kiss in there somewhere. That's romantic.
 
5. Defend that time.
 
If you have a special someone, this is important. Healthy families need some quality time spent together for no other reason than to be together. Not to work. Not to go shopping. Just. For. Fun, Carve that time out for one another. Violently if need be. The only reason Jarod shouldn't be home tomorrow evening is if something is on fire. And frankly, he's no fireman, so even then I'm a little skeptical.
 
So there you have it! What do you do for Valentine's Day? Do you have any fun plans for tomorrow? What are you reading or watching?

4 comments: