Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Within These Lines Book Review

Hello guys!
 
Today I’m doing a book review for Within These Lines by Stephanie Morrill. I received an ARC copy, and let me just say, I could barely set it down. I was cooking while reading this book. It is amazing.

Now, before I go too crazy gushing, this is what it is about according to Goodreads.
 
Evalina Cassano’s life in an Italian-American family in 1941 is everything it “should be” until she falls in love with Taichi Hamasaki, the son of Japanese immigrants. Despite the scandal it would cause and that inter-racial marriage is illegal in California, Evalina and Taichi vow they will find a way to be together. But anti-Japanese feelings erupt across the country after the attack on Pearl Harbor, and Taichi and his family are forced to give up their farm and move to an internment camp.

Degrading treatment makes life at Manzanar Relocation Center difficult. Taichi’s only connection to the outside world are treasured letters from Evalina. Feeling that the only action she can take to help Taichi is to speak out on behalf of all Japanese Americans, Evalina becomes increasingly vocal at school and at home. Meanwhile, inside Manzanar, fighting between different Japanese-American factions arises. Taichi begins to doubt he will ever leave the camp alive.

With tensions running high and their freedom on the line, Evalina and Taichi must hold true to their values and believe in their love to make a way back to each other against unbelievable odds.

Doesn’t that sound good?? And it’s even better in reality. Now for my review.

Five stars. Hands down. 

The characters: The characters were all so vivid and unique and I loved them. Taichi is gentle and sensitive, and completely opposite of what my favorite male leads usually are, but goodness did I love him. He’s got such a calm strength hidden inside him, and his love for Evalina is priceless. 

Evalina is a perfect spitfire, and I love how her Italian heritage ties into the story. Especially early on when she is scared to speak out against injustice because of what people would associate with her last name.

The secondary characters are great as well. Diego is a favorite and not gonna lie, I just about had a heart attack on account of him, but I survived. Taichi’s sister also rates high on my beloved characters list.
They were all so good. 

The story: The whole entire story is pretty much quotable. There were so many good lines and concepts woven into the story, as evidenced by all the graphics included with this post.
 
The story was sweet and heart wrenching, and nerve wracking all at once. I didn’t know what was going to happen, who was going to be ok, or how it was all going to turn out.
 
But the theme. You guys, the theme. There is such a huge underlying message in this book. Not to say it was preachy or anything, but definitely impactful. There is so much truth in this book that could be applied to how people react to situations in our country today. I knew the Japanese people were relocated during the war, but I didn’t know the extent of the injustice, and I'm sure the reality was even more drastic than what fit in the pages of this book. It was terrible, and I think everyone needs to read this and then go brush up on their history and take it to heart. 
 
The hook line for this book is Brave enough to care, and bold enough to act.
And I think that’s just perfect.



Also, if this review has served to get you properly hyped up to read it, Within these Lines releases March 5th, and there are goodies available to anyone who preorders.
Here’s the details.

Preorder before March 5th and receive 
A digital poster inspired by the theme of the book, “Be Brave Enough To Care, And Bold Enough To Act”
A Behind The Book story by Stephanie Morrill about how the idea was formed and what was going on as she wrote it.
A Readers Discussion guide you can use with your book club.
A personal video message from Stephanie. 

To receive the bonus items, just email a proof of purchase to WithinTheseLines@HarperCollins.com!

So go on! Get a copy of it! I just saw the hard cover version on Facebook and it’s gorgeous. #hardcoversforthewin
 
 
Promo Images  By Blink
 

8 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I'm not usually into historical fiction, but this sounds very well done, and I would be interested in learning about that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, historical fiction is not my go to genre, but man this one was really good.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I need this. I used to live near Manzanar, so I've been there several times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I am sold. I will buy! ~ Jenelle

    ReplyDelete