Friday, March 27, 2015

Throwback Thursday


Forgive me readers! Thursdays come way too fast lately.  I have managed to get together some snippets this week. These come from 2012, and by my calculations I would have been sixteen. Odd, cause two of these I feel like I wrote ten years ago, and the other two seem more like ten days.

Lana’s fairy tale
Deep in the heart of the wood all was still, save the chirping of the birds. Everything was as it should be, then a shrill whistle pierced the quiet. Lana frowned and whistled louder. “Vittahni!” She called. A few moments later, the wolf came slinking out of the underbrush. “Where have you been?” Lana scolded. Vittahni glared at her through yellow eyes, a small wisp of smoke floating from her nostrils. “Where do you think? I was just about to catch a delicious looking hare, when you started raising such a ruckus.”
Lana’s voice softened. “At least let me know before you go running off. There’s Ogre’s all over the woods, and I don’t want to be worried about one of them eating you.”
Vittahni’s eyes appeared skeptical. “What Ogre would eat me?”
“It could happen.” Lana assured.
“I doubt it.”

I wrote this story for my friend Lana. We used to pick a theme and write stories for each other with each of us as the main character. This was definitely the favorite of the ones I wrote for her. Yes, I did take Vittahni's name from the lion from Lion King II. I have no regrets when I say that Vittahni was my favorite character in the story. Lana makes a great friend and doppleganger, but Vittahni was a top notch firebreathing wolf. Also, her unquenchable appetite was more suited to a teenage boy, and it made her very fun to write.

Gwen #2.
Brenna lifted her chin. "Titus thinks I'm a boy, and everyone we've met while traveling did too. The only reason you know is because I was wounded."
Chael shook his head. "I would have figured it out. It just would have taken longer. Your voice is too strained, your clothes are too baggy. Your hair is too long and it makes you look pretty. Townspeople and travelers will believe whatever you tell them. As for the old man, he's half blind."

This was the sequel I tried to write for The Riders of Carstindad. It never got a name and I don't think it made it past ten pages. It wasn't cause I didn't love the story, but simply because the first book in the series had too many plot holes in it to even consider writing a second one. I was and forever will remain in love with Chael, and his name, no matter how much my mom hates it. His sass is perfection. I do plan to someday come back to this story.

Kyly Davis
The farmyard was bathed in pale moonlight. At the corner of the barn their dog Jip stood sniffing at something. All was quiet and peaceful. It seemed hard to believe that somewhere, not so far away, a war was being waged. A war that started in Fort Sumter years earlier. At first everyone had thought it would be over in a few months, if not sooner, and had rushed to enlist, not wanting to miss the action.  Now, people were coming to realize that the war between states could last much longer

This is my attempt at a re-write from the Kyly Davis I tried to write in 2011. It didn't make it much farther than the first. I still like the idea though...Would a third attempt be out of line?

Cop.
Laura had apparently been by because the house had been tidied up. There were a few things still laying around in odd places. I'd given her a list of items that were not to be moved, no matter where they were. I suddenly remembered the guy I'd left on the tv and went to get it. The woman sitting on my couch reading a newspaper was not expected.

This. Man. I wrote this story via email with Lana. He was my first (and last) attempt at a quirky character and I'm in love. Egocentric, paranoid, OCD, injured, arrogant. He's like my own original Sherlock Holmes. The man has a killer fruit experiment on his kitchen counter. And an arsenal. And no idea how to take care of a toddler.

Thank you for your patience in waiting for this post! I hope you enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. Love them all Cop was my favorite. Would love to read about someone like him. The sequel one with the girl disguised as a boy,l holds so much promise I am so glad you might still write it. As always you are a talented writer, further proved by your snippets.
    Thanks for sharing. :) I love the name Chael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so ridiculously fun to write. Oh, I can't wait till I get to go back to that one. I had so many plans for it. Haha well thank you. Good! Finally someone agrees with me!! Lol

      Delete