Thursday, August 17, 2017

Relapse to Childhood


Hello all!
 I'll be 22 in just a few days and since I'm married with a child, I typically try to act like a grown-up. 
It hurts me to even type that really. I'm actually not a grown up I'm still very much a member of Kids Next Door. I'm just a secret agent in the grown up world. That's the best I can do considering Peter Pan never came and got me.

 But despite trying to act like an adult for the most part, sometimes I just have a full-blown relapse; just completely lose track of myself, lose sight of where I'm going in life and what I'm supposed to be doing, and I just go Hog Wild.

Today was one of those times.

 It's been raining since yesterday- we've got five inches so far which is an awful lot but we needed it, so I'm not complaining. This morning was dry but then this afternoon I heard the pitter patter on the window again. Sure enough, it had started raining again.

 I took Henry to the front door to watch. He seemed to like it. It was the strangest thing though, because as I was standing there watching it rain- not thunder and blow just nice quiet rain- I suddenly remembered a time when I was a little girl- I'm guessing 5 but I could be wrong- when we were in a drought and it hadn't rained in so long. It started raining and I immediately just ran outside and I was running and jumping and dancing through the yard like a complete maniac and singing (also known as screaming) the chorus to To God be the Glory. Mom and dad came out to watch and never even stopped me. By the time I was through, I was completely soaking wet and it was pretty much the funnest time of my entire life. 

So while I was standing in the door with Henry thinking these thoughts I got the overwhelming urge to go out and run around in the rain. I stood there for quite a while mulling it over and telling myself that there was a four month old baby in my hands and that if I went out and got in the rain I'd have to come in and change clothes and somebody might drive by and see an adult woman dancing in her yard getting soaking wet. All those things you try to tell yourself when you're an adult who wants to be a child.

 So you know what I did?

 I pulled Henry's bouncy chair up to the front door, strapped him in it, left the door propped open so he could keep watching, and I went outside.
 

 It was every bit as fun as I thought it would be.

I even got the dog to join me though he was a bit apprehensive at first. Once he saw how much fun I was having though he joined right in. 

My son thought it was the funniest thing when I came in soaking wet. 

Now I've got this song stuck in my head that we used to sing at camp. It's got a bunch of goofy actions to it but the words are nice.

 I'm Singing in the rain of God's love
 I'm a Child of God you see
 Jesus took my sins on Calvary
 I'm saved
 I'm blessed
 I'm free

2 comments:

  1. I did something similar last year with my friend. It was so much fun, I also think it's a good idea to never quite grow up. I'm glad we are both still young enough to dance in the rain. (Henry is the cutest thing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you do a photo shoot of it? I seem to remember it was wonderful. Oh yes. Thanks!

      Delete