Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Death Cure- A Book Review


I've been struggling to read this stupid book for months, and then last night I read like fifteen chapters and finished the whole dang thing.
My thoughts during those chapters?

Well that's just bloody brilliant. The love of my life just died.
Well done, Minho. Hit him again.
Oh, look, now that one is dead too.
Maybe I'll get lucky and this one will end up dead.
Nope.
Oh good! He died.
....
That's the end???
(I also find the name hilarious. It's the Death Cure? More like the Death sentence!)
Here's goodreads take on the matter:

It’s the end of the line.

WICKED has taken everything from Thomas: his life, his memories, and now his only friends—the Gladers. But it’s finally over. The trials are complete, after one final test.

Will anyone survive?

What WICKED doesn’t know is that Thomas remembers far more than they think. And it’s enough to prove that he can’t believe a word of what they say.

The truth will be terrifying.

Thomas beat the Maze. He survived the Scorch. He’ll risk anything to save his friends. But the truth might be what ends it all.

The time for lies is over.
  

I'm gonna give this one three hearts.

♥♥♥

I'm not a huge fan of this series anyway, but this one didn't hold my interest nearly as much as the first two did. It seemed to me like there were a lot of stretches where nothing was happening. Not to mention everyone (except one) I love died, and nearly everyone I hate lived. I get it, characters die. It's the norm nowadays. I can't complain too much.

I suppose the thing I disliked most was the ending. It just seemed so abrupt. I was left with a "That's it? But what happens? Nothing is figured out yet!" feeling. I may be totally wrong, because Minion 1 told me I was nuts and I just can't appreciate happy endings. I saw nothing happy in the ending, I'm sorry. But apparently there was one in there. I just feel lost when I think of the ending. Like, come on, James! You put the characters through all that and that's the end??
There were some brilliant plot twists in the book (My favorite/most terrifying had something to do with BRAINS- Just saying). Some very terrifying chapter endings that forced me to keep turning the page. I was a little upset at one of the twists involving love interests, but I've come to accept the fact that I'm 99% doomed to be disappointed with fictional romances.
As far as content goes, if you don't like cannibalism, people getting crushed by things, and bloody zombie-ish descriptions, don't bother picking it up. There was also quite a bit more language in this one than in the others. Still not tons though. Other than that, it didn't have any content issues.
All in all, it wasn't a failure for a series ender. Things did wrap up, it just seemed sudden. Minho's sarcasm was perfect throughout the book, and there were some fun twists I didn't see coming. If you enjoyed the first two, it's worth finishing.

8 comments:

  1. I just finish the Maze Runner the other day. I want to get my hands on the other two! :) Minho is definitely my favorite secondary character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read The Maze Runner, and I'm not sure if I'm going to finish the others in the series or not so. I loved Newt, but I'm pretty sure he dies or something :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newt is the love of my life...aside some other characters

      Delete
  3. Yay, you finally read it! Honestly, I did not like it as much as the other two, if not at all. It was still exciting and thrilling, but the little "happening" on page 250 ruined it for me. I read it over and over again, wishing to the end of the world that it wasn't true. And the ending was satisfying for me either. I was like, "THAT'S IT?!"
    Thanks for your review:)
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read The Maze Runner, it was a bit meh to be honest. I am planning on finishing the series though.

    ReplyDelete