Monday, November 11, 2013

Book Review- Divergent.

                                             “We believe in ordinary acts of bravery,
                           in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”  
 
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her. (from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13335037-divergent?from_search=true)


My Rating: (1-5. 5 being awesome beyond belief) 5!

I loved this book with every fiber of my being. I could not put it down. I neglected all my family and friends from the time I got it to the time I read the last acknowledgement in the back of the book. My best friend recommended the book to me ages ago and I never took the time to look into it, but then I had some cash on hand after my birthday, and I saw it in Wal-Mart (gotta love that place) and I got it.
It was so worth the 11 bucks.
It was different than any of the other dystopian books I've read, but every bit as good in mind as Hunger Games and Viral Nation. The plot twists came as great surprises, the romance wasn't cheesy, or too steamy (both of my little sisters read it when I was finished), the action was intense and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Another great plus in my mind was that it was a very 'clean.' story. Nothing inappropriate, and very little language.
I would suggest Divergent to anyone who wants a good read.
Oh...and I've also finished the whole trilogy, so I'll be posting my reviews to Insurgent and Allegiant in the near future.

Dauntless FOURever!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment