Thursday, November 28, 2013

!!HaPPy ThAnKsGiVinG!!

Oh give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:1 KJV
See that lovely piece of work up there^ for the title? I haven't even made it to the sugar yet and I'm already going crazy.  
I like Thanksgiving a lot. The food is great obviously, and it's always fun to get together with family and friends, and the oh so meaningful Happy Thanksgiving status' on facebook....
When I was little we had this book laying around, by John MacArthur I think it was, and it told the story of how Thanksgiving came to be. It kind of drove me nuts when I was little when we had to sit there and go through the whole thing, but I just now remembered it as I was trying to think what to write about and I realized I kind of missed it. I just can't remember the name of the book...I'll have to ask my mom. But anyway, after that, we would all give a list of what we were thankful for. The first five things on my list were always the same.
1. Salvation
2. Family    
3. Friends    
4. Our home
5. Our health
And to be quite honest those five haven't changed at all. I'm still very thankful for all of them. I have added lots of new things, now that I understand how thankful I am for my parents, going beyond the generic family level. I'm thankful for living in America. I'm thankful that God keeps on forgiving me when I mess up and doesn't just send a bolt of lighting. I'm thankful for a lot of things.
Aside from that book and making lists, I've read lots of different things (mostly in History class, but I love American History and read a ton of old dusty biographies and diaries just for fun) all about how Thanksgiving wasn't even a national holiday for the longest time, and presidents used to just declare a day of thanksgiving. Something was going right in the war- boom. Day of thanksgiving. The book By The Hand of Providence shows this a lot. President Washington was always making days of thanksgiving, when the whole country stopped whatever they were doing and went to church and what not. President Lincoln did it too. I kind of like that. Thanksgiving isn't just about one day where we get an excuse to eat so much we want to curl up in bed and expire (am I the only one who gets that feeling?). We have an awful lot to be thankful for all year round, but since we have one day set apart to really emphasize that, lets not lose sight of what the turkey is really all about.
 
Now, on to some of the less deep stuff.
 

(don't you just love Snoopy?)
 
This year is a little bit different since I've only got one and a half Thanksgiving dinners to go to, and usually I have about three (my waistline is also giving thanks this year). I say one and a half because we are having a potluck and church and there will be turkey, but we have a potluck every month, so it's not like its an extra dinner I'm going to. This year we are going to my grandma's house on my mommy's side of the family. There's a lot of people over there. My grandma is the oldest of 18 kids, so I can say with complete honesty that I wont know half the people there. But I do have a three year old cousin who absolutely loves me (she's not old enough to know I'm insane yet). So I'll probably spend an awful lot of time with her talking about hair feathers and why I took mine out (horror of horrors), teasing her about when she asked for a piggy back ride while wearing spurs, (I don't recommend that) and letting her play with my ipod and attempt to take selfies...they usually end being a smudged finger. Once she got my nose.
While I'm typing this there is this wonderful gooey mess sitting next to me on the counter. I don't even know what it is. Mom made it. It's got like toffee, and sweetened condensed milk, and yellow cake, and I commandeered some once at a quilt guild meeting and it was amazing and oh my gosh...I'll stop now. Point being, I really want to just eat it. But it's perfect in the pan and no way I could sneak it out. -_- Not thankful for that people. Not thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment