Monday, July 28, 2014

Some Dynamic Snippets

Hi! Well, chores are done, and I should probably be writing, but I'm not, so I thought I would give you guys some snippets of the stuff I did write. The Dynamic Duo is written from Anthony's and Leslie's point of view.



She slid the picture frame out of the newspaper wrap and set it out. Her and her parents, standing in front of the Adventures in Odyssey building. Mom was smiling, arms wrapped around Dad. She still had her long hair and supermodel body. Leslie looked liked a littler girl. Her hair was long too, and sporting her first set of highlights. Her braces showed in her toothy grin. She liked it.
"Knock, knock." She glanced up at her dad walking in, loaded down with poster tubes. "Found these in the kitchen."
She laughed. "Thanks for rescuing them. The way we cook, I think they need to be as far away as possible."
"I'm not arguing." He smirked.


"Tomorrow we'll head to the school and get you enrolled. Do you think you can get caught up for the school year?"
"Yeah, no problem." She swiped a hand across her mouth.
"Grand Island is pretty big. Hopefully you can make some friends."
Leslie puckered her lips. 'Oh, that wont be a problem. I'm very approachable."
Her dad chuckled and tugged at a bright pink stripe in her hair. "Maybe not with this color."
She giggled. "Well, then I'll have to go after them."



"Mark, wake up." Anthony went to the dresser and slid open the top drawer. He pulled out a white t-shirt and the city boy jeans his brother liked to wear. "Get up. We got school." He slapped the outfit down on the pile of blankets. It jumped and growled.
"Anthony, leave me alone. I'm awake."
"Get up."
Mark's brown topped head popped out of the covers. "Don't tell me to get up when you don't even have a shirt on."
Anthony pushed the clothes toward him. "I'll have a shirt on, breakfast ate, and be out in the pickup waiting before you even get out of bed. Let's go."


Mark looked at his piece doubtfully. "You make lousy toast."
Anthony shrugged. "I'm not exactly dealing with a TV show kitchen."
"You're no Paula Dean either." Mark grumbled and took a bite. "You should get a toaster."
Anthony smirked. "Oh yeah. I'll add that to the list of things to buy." He finished off his own breakfast. "Think your mom has a toaster?"
Mark narrowed his eyes. "Duh. Most normal people have one."
"Your mom isn't normal." Anthony pointed at him and pulled his thermos out of the cabinet.
Mark ignored the dig. "She'd never let us take it."
"Dad then." Anthony spooned coffee powder in.


The principle spread his feet a little and drew himself up. Anthony rolled his eyes. Like that stance could make him look more manly and not like the sawed off wimp that he was.


Mister Peters wheezed, bobbing his head. He reminded Anthony of the little bobble heads that used to come in McDonald's Happy Meals. It was kind of creepy.


The new girl- Leslie- slid into the desk to the left of Mark, right next to the window. Anthony caught the slight tilt of his brothers head and resisted the urge to clobber him with his book. No staring at the new girl. Go back to worrying about prepositional phrases.


Anthony kept an ear on the teacher so he would know what to cover with Mark when he got home that night. If he could get his mind off Miss tough enough to wear pink. Mark looked like he had a kink in his neck for the rest of the class, keeping it turned just slightly to the left almost constantly. Anthony wished he would cut it out already. He was getting a neck ache just watching it.


"Geez man, haven't you ever saw a girl before." He glanced back in time to see Mark turn beet red.
"Well yeah, but she's different."
"Colorado isn't that far away. They still just grow girls over there."


He was a cute boy. Not super hot, but his smooth features and wide green eyes gave him an inviting, friendly look. She'd like to snap a picture of him and send it back to Amy. Just to prove that there were cute guys living 'in the middle of nowhere Nebraska'.


Leslie made her way through the swarm of people until she found Mark. "So, we're not totally moved in yet, and I don't know when my dad will have time to set up the internet, so can we work on this project at your house?"
Mark looked nervous. "Uh, I don't have a computer at home, so..." He touched his tongue to his lips. "Me and Anthony usually just come in to the library and use theirs when we have school work to do."
Leslie nodded slightly. "Okay that's cool. We can do that then." No computer. A flip phone from the prehistoric age. He was way too cute and dressed up to be Amish. So what was with the lack of modern day technology?

3 comments:

  1. Nice job. I really enjoyed reading the snippets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this, these snippets are incredible. Oh, I had to stopped reading Blaze but it's number one on my list now. I will finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm currently getting it typed into the computer right now. I'm not so sure it's fit for human eyes just yet.
      No problemo! I'm just glad someone has enough interest in it to pluck away at it on occasion, so I have absolutely no time crunch on it.

      Delete