Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Selection- A book review



Hi guys! Today I will be reviewing The Selection by Kiera Kass. I wanted to read this book for a long time. Minion 1 started it before me though and when she came across a kissing scene in the first chapter she got really worried and took the book back to the library and yelled at me whenever I tried to check it out. Finally my librarian saved the day and told her that the book was clean as a whistle, so she of course checked it out and read it before me, then ordered me to read it immediately when I was in the middle of other books. But, I finally got around to it and I'm glad I finally got to read it.
Here's what goodreads has to say about it.

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


The story is based off Esther from the Bible and I'll give it four hearts.
 ♥♥♥♥
I loved this book. The plot was interesting, and it there was a love triangle, but it was not the typical one because Aspen wasn't there to fight for America's heart, so it cut out a lot of the typical love triangle drama. The book only covers a short period of time, but so much goes on in the book, it feels like everything is happening. There is never a dull moment. The only knock I would give it is that there are quite a few cuss words. Nothing too terrible, but lots of D and a few H words. The romance stayed appropriate and I appreciated that very much. There were several twists the story took that I did not see coming and they were very exciting to read. There were several moments where I was screaming at the book "Get out of there! They're going to find you, you idiot!" Very nerve wracking. I also loved how odd the story world was. You kept thinking it was fantasy, because they're wearing ball gowns, and there's a prince, and angry rebels, and a castle, but then that same prince turns around with a digital camera and says "smile". Very fun to read.  
 
I have a theory about what will happen with the rest of the series. Minion 1 has done a pretty good job of keeping quiet about spoilers, but after reading the first book have a theory that the books will ultimately end much different than everyone thinks they will. I'm not sure if you guys have read them yet though, so I won't say anything. Minion 1 covered her face when I told her my thoughts, so I wasn't able to tell by her eyes if I was right or not (she has the most obvious lie face in the world).
 
To sum it all up, it's an awesome story you should probably go read right now.
 
Also, how is everyone doing on their Camp NaNoWriMo? I have wrote every day, but not the right word count to finish with 40,000 words at the end of the month. I'm not too terribly worried yet though, because I set my word count higher than what I thought I would actually need to finish the first draft. I picked the big number to motivate me to write more, but I think I can still finish the story on time without writing quite that many words. I guess time will tell. I've got Vacation Bible School coming up next week. I'm the game leader and that's it, so I usually have several hours of down time while waiting for the different age group to come through for games, so I usually get a lot of writing done. Maybe I can bump up my numbers then.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I read the entire series, and enjoyed them. I thought they were pretty good. I'd love to hear your theory on how it will end, you can send me an email so you don't spoil it for anyone else though. :)

    ReplyDelete