Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Assassin- Snippets

Today I'm going to be talking about my short story The Assassin. I haven't put it on the My Stories page because it's not *supposed* to end up being a full length novel (Reyin may run away with the story and decide otherwise, but that's the plan).

A few weeks ago, due to some odd but fun Facebook game, I had to post a few paragraphs from page seven of my current story. Well I went through all of my stories and page seven was severely boring in all of them, so I picked like page 27 and used The Assassin. And people liked it a lot. Which was scary for me, because I never post my writing on my regular facebook feed. I always do it only through GoTeenWriters' page. But since it was received so well, I decided I'd post some more snippets from it here.

Since I don't have the description up, the plot summary is that Reyin is my male main character. He lives in a stronghold up in the mountains with a pack of ornery, obnoxious men. They're all assassins for the king. Corrine is my female main character. She lives in a inn/tavern and waits tables, cooks, etc. She's a pretty normal girl, with big plans of traveling someday.

Reyin tidbits:

He slid one of the knives out of the belt around his waist. He was within arms reach when the man turned and saw him. Reyin snaked the knife up against his bare throat. "You're dead." He said grimly.
The young man scowled. "No matter what I try you always get me."
Reyin nodded and gave Kahnner a hand up. "You're not so bad Colburn. We can't all be Reyin Cutter."

"Where's breakfast?" He glanced around.
"It's not here yet." Frayne said from across the table.
"What's the hold up?" Reyin rested his elbows on the worn wood.
Frayne rolled his eyes. "Boone and Kahnner."
Reyin groaned. "I don't know why we even let those two take a turn at cooking. Especially together. They nearly poison us every time."
There was an exclamation of surprise, followed by a dish clattering. Reyin could hear Boone swearing above the din in the dinner hall, and then smoke started puffing out of the kitchen doorway. "Add        burning the kitchen down to that list." He grumbled.


"I met someone named Reyin the other day." A sly grin twisted Boone's lips.
Reyin glanced up, curious where this was going. Boone hadn't had an assignment in months. He hadn't met anyone. "Oh yeah?" He said, decidedly bored.
"Yeah." Boone nodded. "She was a lot prettier than you." Boon cracked up at himself.
Reyin looked at him calmly, used to his girl jokes. "Bet she didn't give you a second glance."
Boone moved on as if Reyin hadn't said anything. "Why do you have a girls name?"
"It's not a girl's name. You're the only one who thinks so."
"It sure sounds like one to me."
Reyin nodded and brought his hands down. "You know, Boone kind of sounds like a dog I used to have. His name was Dummy. He died because he stuck his nose where it didn't belong."


Light streamed in through the windows, and pigions pushed for a spot on the ledges. "Dumb birds." Reyin muttered. "I can't believe we trust the messages to a pack of pigions. What if someone caught it and read the message? Or heaven forbid the thing gets eaten by some animal."
Frayne never slowed his step. "We've used carrier pigions for a hundred years and nothing has happened yet. No one notices birds."
"After that long, I'm sure we're due for a catastrophe."
"You don't have a very bright outlook on things do you?" There was humor in Frayne's voice.
Reyin tilted his chin up and smirked. "Not at all."
"well, don't jinx it."
"I don't have to. there's plenty that can happen on it's own."


"Did you get lost in the saddles Boone?" Reyin laughed. "The man will be dead of old age by the time we get there."
Boone led his horse out. "Well at least you'll have gone on with him. You're old as it is."
Reyin rolled his eyes. "Because twenty-two is so old. Kahnner and Frayne will be gone long before you get rid of me."
"Tragic, that."


Reyin smirked. "I disagree. I think everone in the hold should learn how to dance. "
"You'll be the one to teach them I suppose." Frayne chuckled.
He nodded. "That I will."


Boone huffed. "Well I didn't see anything that said she'd understand some crazy language. Where'd you learn that anyway?"
Reyin smiled coolly and faced forward again. "Obviously in a place where it's spoken."


"Of us all, I'd say I'm the least deprived when it comes to women's affections."
Boone made a choking noise and burst out laughing. "You can only count your mother once, Cutter."


"Don't be singing about my girl on the job."
"Shouldn't be hard." Reyin glanced at him sidelong. "You don't have a girl."
"Sure I do!" Boone protested, his eye twitching. "I've got lots of girls."
"Exactly why you'll never have a girl."


"I bet I'll get to see that girl at the inn on the way back. We may even have to get a room for the night if we get there late in the day."
Frayne gave him a sidelong glance. "Thinking like that is no good either."
Reyin chuckled quietly. "I know. The look on your face when I say it is real good though."



Corrine tidbits:

"Can I get you gentleman anything?"
The younger one with a squinting eye grinned up at her. "Yeah. Maybe an hour of your time, somewhere nice?"
Corrine looked at him calmly, used to flirtatious young travelers. "Breakfast is almost ready."


.....Obviously I favor Reyin over Corrine. Oh well. I'll develop her more later.
 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment