Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day Post

I don't usually post on Sunday because it's so hectic, and my brain needs a break from trying to think up topics, but since it's Mother's Day I thought I'd do something kind of special (besides posting mommy/baby pictures of me and my mom-mommy on Facebook)

First off, let me just say that I have the best mom in the whole world, and don't bother arguing that point, because I will absolutely never believe you. My mom will sit and listen to me yammer about fictional boys (and a few real ones) for literally hours on end. She will listen while I go on and on about how my characters aren't being written according to plan, and usually she'll give me a brilliant idea for a plot twist. She puts up with every crazy song I put on the radio. She humors my ideas for clothing designs, and painted my bedroom purple for me, and made me two amazing quilts (even though one still isn't finished), and she helps me out all the time, and she's just great. So shout out to mom coming up.

YOU ROCK MOM!!

Now that that's out of the way,  I have something for the rest of you who aren't actually my mom. Which is 99% of you. Because I only have one mom. And she's amazing.

This scene hasn't actually been wrote into the story yet, (I actually just wrote it up now off the top of my head, so if it sounds awful, don't tell me) but it comes from my Beautiful Things work-in-progress and the characters are Ashley, Jason, and Teeg.


Anyone who says having a baby doesn't hurt is a liar. Ashley definitely hurt. In more ways than she'd ever felt possible. She squeezed her eyes shut and sucked in a shaky breath.
"Ashley?" She opened her eyes at the nurse who was holding out a small bundle. "You're little guy is here."
A fear she couldn't really explain shot through her and she hesitated. If she took him, she was truly a mom.
A tiny hand peeked out of the folds of baby blue and her heart skipped a beat. So tiny!
She held her arms out slowly and let the nurse set him in them. Ashley carefully drew him back to herself and stared, a half smile teasing around her lips.
He didn't look like any of the babies she'd seen. None of the newborns on TV looked like this. He was tiny. Like he could break at the slightest movement. And red. Red and kind of blotchy.
"Is he okay?" She glanced up, hoping she didn't sound silly.
"Oh he's just fine." She smiled and patted Ashley's shoulder. "You did really good."
Ashley felt herself flush slightly and looked back down at the baby. Her baby.
His eyes were squeezed shut, his mouth puckered like he didn't like this new place he'd found himself in. His little hands were balled into fists in front of him.
"Hi there." Ashley said softly.
He was wiggling slightly, his limbs not sure of themselves. His eyelids crept up slightly and she bent to try and see the color. "Are you in there?" She giggled.
The nurse came over. "Do you want me to let your friend in?"
Ashley glanced at the door and nodded, suddenly remembering Jason had drove her here in a panic. "Yes, please."
Jason came in a moment later and claimed the chair next to her bed, leaning in close to see. She moved her arm slightly to give him a better view. "Ah Ash, he's adorable."
She smiled at him. "Isn't he? Jason, meet Teeg."
Jason flashed a smile. "Finally decided on a name huh?"
She nodded.
"I like it."
She smiled and looked back down at the little guy as he made weak squeak noises. "I can't even believe this is real. That he's mine."
"Yeah." He rubbed her shoulder. "It's pretty amazing, isn't it Mommy?"
She smiled and nodded. "Yeah..." She looked at Teeg lovingly. "Hi Teeg. I'm your mommy."

No comments:

Post a Comment