Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Weekend Frenzies

Hi guys! Geez it's been a while. Four days? I was pretty much doing the exact same thing on every one of those days, so I'll catch you up on that.

We were sorting pairs.
 A phrase which here means, get all the cows into a corral, find the matching mother and baby, put them in a trailer and haul them to a nice grassy pasture.
 
(Just thought I'd clear that up, since the last time I said that, people were asking mom about fruit trees)                                                                                             (Peppermint is my cow, She's that crazy red and white one)

Sorting pairs is a lot of fun (even though losing Tick put a huge damper on the whole week). We wake up at six and go saddle the horses, chase all the cows in, and then mom keeps an eye on the gate while me, The Minions, and Dad all chase cows and calves down the hill to go into the loading pens.

Normally we have a lot of cows with no tags, so we would be out there, trailing a calf around saying "Who does M50 belong to?" And my mom would frantically flip through her notes and say "A black cow with a tore left ear, a silver clip in her right, and a little white on her bag." To which Dad would say "That's half the cows in here. Find one with a real number."

           It was long, tiring, and seemingly futile most of the time.
 
This year though, we tagged our cows. All of them. So we only had a few odd ball numbers. (I think we only got up to M5) Which was so much easier it isn't even funny.

We sort the cows five into a pen, then when we get twenty, mom and dad take the trailer and haul them out to the pastures. While they're gone, me and the girls hold the horses and take turns sneaking to the house for books, food, and that sort of thing. Part of Blaze was wrote this weekend sitting in the dirt with cows watching. And all the pictures for todays post came from the waiting in between loads.
(I'm on Woody- The red one. Flint is my horse- the black- but Dad is riding him)

Mom was awesome and got us pop, and nibs, and cherry mashes (greatest candies ever- and No, they are not the same thing as Twin Bing, I don't care how many people tell me they are).

We got all the major bunches out Sunday, and tomorrow we will haul out the last two pairs. (My heifer decided to calve way late, so she gets to go out to grass finally. I've got a cute little brockle face. (Black with white spots on his face)


So that's my week. How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment