Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Blazing Snippets


Today it's windy as all get out outside, and I really haven't done much. I've decided I don't want to do school today (you get to do that when you're three weeks ahead of your teacher in class), and I'm not creative enough to make a blog post out of washing a few dishes. So I've been puzzling all morning about what I should blog about. And then I remembered that I have been writing a lot in the last two nights, and I've got some snippets I could share. So that's what you're getting today.
   
 These are from my story Blaze. Since I'm dropping you right in at about 3/4 of the way through the story, I'll just let you know that Blade and his brothers (Asher and Jace) have taken up rebellion against the government that kidnapped Blade's girlfriend. I love Blade quite a lot. He's a fun character for me to do, but Jace is really my pet. If I ever decided to kill Blade (which I originally did- I mean, the story was called Main Character Dies), Jace would be the one to take his place. It's wrote in first person, and Blade is the narrator.
                                                        (Blade...Kind of)

Cape looked up, her hair tickling my chin. "You look different."
I looked down at her. "Do I?" She nodded and the boys cut in.
"You need to shave!" Deeth said with a nod.
"And mother needs to cut your hair before you turn into a girl." Dirk said with all seriousness.



I was debating whether to go straight to Asher or just wait for him to find out I was back, when something hard hit my shoulder. "Ow!" I scowled and turned.
Jace sat several yards away, bouncing a rock in his palm. He looked up casually. "I was testing a theory. You just confirmed it for me."
I frowned. "Oh, so you weren't just chucking rocks at me for fun?"
"Oh no." He smirked. "I was thinking about a distraction. Small, and basically harmless. But it manages to take your focus off. Like right now, you're thinking about theory's." He threw the rock he had. I flinched, but it hit my collarbone. I scowled and he looked smug. "But now, you've been distracted to thinking about the sting."
"Wrong." I said, rubbing at the spot.
"Oh yes?" He raised an eyebrow.
"I'm thinking about beating you up." I nod.
"At the risk of losing  my defense when Asher finds out you're here? Where's the sense in that?" He stood up, seeming oddly lighthearted. "You know he's going to kill you?"
I did know that. "And you're grinning about it why?"
"Because." He glanced over my shoulder. "No reason that can't wait."

 (And Jace)

"Stop!" I shook my head hard. "You're never going to make it better."
Asher glared. "It hurts me too Blade. I made the wrong call and it cost men their lives. But that's war!"
I shook my head. "I'm done with war." I started to turn away and nearly fell when his fist slammed into me.
"You don't get to be done. We're the only ones standing between them and our families." He glared. "It's not done until they're done. We don't get to just quit."
I scowled fiercely and looked away from him. "Then I'm going to make them fall. They'll all burn."




"This is the way to do it. Set up and let them come to us. It's safer. Easier."
"Yeah." Asher agreed. "I like this."
I pointed off toward Jace, stuffing a dagger into his belt. "He does too."
He frowned and nodded slowly. "Yeah. Sometimes too much, I think. He takes to it. The fighting."
"Not so much the fighting." I say slowly. "The leadership. The strategy of it all."
Asher crossed his arms over his chest and squinted. "Yeah...But you have to admit, he does like the fighting."




"What's got your tail in a wringer?"
"Asher." I spat.
"Ah." Jace nodded a bit. "He gets to the best of us."


Jace frowned a bit. "Tara's a scrappy little thing. You didn't pick a quitter. No matter what happens, she's not going to just sit quiet. She'll keep watching for a way out. If one doesn't come, you'll be coming to get her. Asher wont keep you here forever." He shrugged. "And if he tries, you'll take off without him."
I smiled a little. "It's good to know you have it all figured out."
He nodded and pushed me in the shoulder. "Someone has to keep things straight for you two mush heads. All you do is think about Tara, and Asher is all about the raids." He flourished a hand to himself. "I bring it all together in a happy balance."



"This doesn't even seem real, does it? All this stuff we've been doing; The fighting, raids. All of it. Seems like it's just a dream I should be waking up from any time now."
"Yeah, sometimes it seems like a dream." Jace said slowly. "But sometimes, I think the only time I'm really awake is when I'm fighting."



I looked up past the branches to the sky and wished for something to change. But the stars didn't rearrange; Only winked down at me, probably laughing. Silly human, why should we be bothered by your plight? You're here for a moment, and then gone, and another takes your place.

I moved over to where Jace was snoring and nudged him with my toe. He flinched and latched onto my ankle. I staggered and tired not to fall on him, even though he deserved it. "Jace!" I hissed. "It's me. Let go."
He scowled and sat up, releasing his grip. "Don't sneak up on me."
                                                                                   "I didn't realize you'd become so touchy."




"Jace!" I looked around frantically as I hauled him up by his arm. "Jace, come on!"
He had to live. He had to get away from all these soldiers. There was blood.
"Blade...Blade, you gotta- I gotta tell you something."
"Not now, Jace. Run, come on." I pulled on him, terror driving me like nothing else could.
"Blade!"
I chanced a look at him and my heart almost stopped. I laughed. "Jace...the sword."
He looked at me in bewilderment. "Wha-"
I touched his collarbone where a deep slice ran. He winced and shoved me away, but a smile sptread over his face.
It missed his throat.

                                         


                                             And that's all I've got. Have a good day people!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




2 comments:

  1. Amazing! I love Jace, oh and Blade too. The one with the rock was*wow* I have no words your snippets are awesome. I want more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness thanks!
      Haha the rock scene xp I'll be using that later. Jace is my *deep* thinker :p
      *hurries to write more*
      Lol if I'm getting more for you I'd like to see some more snippets of yours sometime ;)

      Delete