Monday, March 3, 2014

The Wonderful World of My Life is Trying To Kill Me

It is, honest. But not the blog version. The real thing. 

The last week has been sub zero temperatures. Last night was -9, and a high of 2 degrees during the day- and that's not even taking into consideration the windchill. 

We're now right smack in the middle of calving season so that means dad is staying up most of the night checking calves every two hours. During the day me and my sisters help and check them every hour. 
The tractors have to be plugged in for hours to get them warm enough to start so we can feed cows. In three different places. One of them twice a day. We keep putting in fuel conditioners to keep them from freezing up on the road on our way there.

 I just came inside from wrestling brittle hoses around trying to get them stretched out to fill the horse tank. The connection is leaking and it's just one giant ice pile right next to the hydrant. 
Calves are being born and we have to hurry to get them in the barn before they freeze they're feet and ears off- or even to death. With the process of getting them in and warm, comes the trouble of having to get their mothers in the barn (which means we have to try and start the four wheeler) and hope they remember each other. If they don't we have to teach the baby how to nurse, so he gets his first milk. Otherwise he'll die. 
My bottle calves are all gone now. We had to adopt them out to cows whose baby's had died. We've had to doctor several calves for having scours (think the flu).  Don't forget to chop the dog and chicken water, haul wood up to the house and fill the cow tank several times a day. 
Aside from the battle against the elements, I'm also coming down with a nasty cough and cold, and I'm dog tired...speaking of dog, my dog has fallen in love with a cat and totally forgot we exist. I'm not sure if this means he really needs a girlfriend or if we need to make sure he never gets one. Because he literally pays us no attention. It's so much more than puppy love. 

But you know what's even crazier than everything I just said?? 
IM NOT COMPLAINING. 
Sure when I'm outside I'm sure I can't go on, and it's too much and I just want to go back to bed- but I wouldn't trade my life for anything. I love it. It's awesome. When I go outside and see that cow with her baby, a happy family, and see how the little calves snuggle up in the hay, and suddenly remember I have a dog when he jumps in the front seat with me- its good. It really is the WONDERFUL world of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment