Friday, March 21, 2014

The Maze Runner- Book Review

I haven't done one in a while, and I actually did finish a book through the craziness that is my life, so you're getting a book review today.
                                      
                                   My target? The Maze Runner by James Dashner.


                                                   "If you ain't scared, you ain't human."
     When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.
     Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.
     Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

(from goodreads)

My sister got me to read this book. She blew through the series in record time, and she really should be doing this review instead of me because she would rock it. She's a diehard fan.
Unlike most of the books Minion 1 asks me to read, I actually liked this one. Quite a bit. I always love a good excuse to walk around calling people names like "Shuck Face" and "Shank". It makes me happy ^_^


This book was totally different than what I usually read. The plot was great. It moved fast enough, but didn't seem rushed. And it was terrifying. Let it be known that I never want to read a chapter describing the noises Grievers make as they move in on the Homestead ever again. It was freaky. Which means it was incredibly well written.
Thomas is 15 so it was great that there wasn't really any of the mature borderline nasty content that is so prevalent in most of the young adult books floating around.
My favorite characters were Newt and Minho. They rock man. I mean, Thomas is good too, but Newt and Minho take the shucking cake.

The one qualm I had with the book was that there was some telepathy, and for some reason that just didn't fit into the setting for me. Maybe it will make more sense when I read the next books. My sister says it will. I'll take her word for it, since I'm reading another series right now, and not moving on to the next book just yet. But still, out of a whole book that's the only complaint I have. I'd say that's pretty crazy. Unacceptable even...
Okay, reason number two I didn't like it, was that Minion 1 talked about it nonstop while she was reading, so I knew the gist of everything that happened long before I ever started the book.
There. Now we have a nice even set of reasons why I didn't totally enjoy reading the book.

AAAAAND, they're making a movie out of it. And my sister is nearly ripping my ear off in her excited chatter about it. I thought I was excited about Divergent coming out.
So, maybe go pick up a copy before the movie is out and encouraging laziness to just watch it on the big screen instead of on the page. Better run fast.

 



 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment