Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Books Books Books

Well, it's windy as all get out outside, and nothing of great note has happened since yesterday, but I'm kind of in the reading mood, so I thought I'd let you know what I'm reading and maybe you guys can get some ideas for some fun books to read this summer.

1. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
Yep. Minion 1 got me to read it finally. This is the sequel to The Maze Runner, and I'm enjoying myself with it. But I'm only chapter eight or so. When she asked me what I didn't like about it I said "The chapters are too short. I get a nice stopping point every page or two. When I have a book with long chapters, I can't possibly stop mid-chapter so I have to keep reading, and I get a lot more read."
They are really exciting chapters though, even if they are short.
2. Ring of Secrets by Roseanna M. White
I. Love. This. Book. I only have it on my kindle, so unfortunately I don't read it as fast as I'd like. Something about staring at the screen that long without actually typing or changing the look frequently bothers me. But the book is so good. Very exciting, and it keeps throwing twists at me I'm not sure how she's going to get out of.

3. A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
This is my first Sherlock Holmes book I've ever read, and I love him. He's quite a bit like Sherlock from the movies.

4. Embassy by Alex S. Martin
I got this one as a freebie on my Kindle from Alex and it's totally different from what I'm used to reading. I mean, it takes place in outer space. But I like it. It's a good different.

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
I got to admit, I'm totally lost with this book. I'm a dialogue, character, and plot driven kind of person. I like the characters to talk, and I like to hear their internal thoughts, and I like to see them do things, as opposed to just reading that they did something. As for plot, I really prefer there to be one. Some kind of action somewhere. But I've been informed by my Austen reading mother that it is just a story of a girl and that I have to respect the classics.

6. Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
This is a very sweet book, and I like it a lot, but I'm reading it very slow because I can't quite seem to find the rhythm of it yet. It kind of bounces around from place to place. But it's still adorable and touching, so definitely worth the read.

Anyone who follows me on Goodreads knows that I've been working on five of these for ever and don't seem to be getting any further in them, but I have an excuse. I stopped reading them midway through to try to read The Fault in Our Stars, and The Fifth Wave.
Sad to say, I quit reading both of them. I'm sure TFIOS is as sad and sweet as everyone says, but I read the first chapter and just couldn't stand Hazel. Her personality annoyed me, and aside from that there was a lot of inappropriate material dumped right into the first chapter. Not a good first impression.
The Fifth Wave turned out to be about aliens, which wasn't my cup of tea anyway, but there was huge amounts of language, and the story didn't flow nice for me, so I had to put it down.

Hopefully now I can get back to work on these other ones and move on to the stack that is waiting for me next to my bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment