Monday, April 28, 2014

Movie Night With Writers

Hi guys! Hope you had a great weekend. Mine wasn't too shabby at all.
You might be pleased to know that I actually have a topic for todays post. (Or maybe you're not. Maybe you like it when I ramble on incessantly. Sorry to disappoint)

 Last night, we watched Saving Mr. Banks- it's a new movie about how the Mary Poppins movie came to be made.
And as I was sitting there watching Mrs. Travers shoot down every idea the Disney crew had, I couldn't help but pretty much hate her. She was bossy, she was inconsiderate, she was ridiculous in her demands. I mean, don't get me wrong, if someone wanted to make a movie out of my story- it would be a miracle- I would want them to do it right. But I wouldn't ban the color red from the film.
I think the movie really should have been called Saving Mrs. Travers, because she didn't become all that loveable right up until the end. You should watch it. Honest. But anyway-

That got me to thinking about other writers in film. You remember Alex Rover from Nim's Island? (The female writer, not the awesome dude with the accent)
Unlike our Mrs. Travers, she isn't cruel and snobbish.
She's "borderline" agoraphobic.
She's crazy.
You go the whole movie screaming at her to pull it together.
 


Writers on the big screen all seem to follow this trend. Insane with a serving of holier-than-thou.
Why is that?
Literary writers are nothing of the sort. At least none that I've encountered.
Take Jo March from Little Women. We all love her to death. Sure, she's a bit of a boss, but in a sisterly sort of way. She's a little bit crazy, but be honest, who doesn't love to dress up? I do it every chance I can get.
Or Rose from the Healers Apprentice. She writes stories- which she shouldn't do- and it's one of the things readers love about her. She's not the least bit crazy or demanding in any way.
Let's not forget Meggie from Inkheart. True, her writing throws a lot of danger in her lap, but you wont find a bit of agoraphobia or anti-fun characteristics in her.


 
Which got me to thinking even more (watch out, things can get dangerous when I think).
Which one is true? Are all writers insane and mean? Are all writers just typical human beings?
According to Pinterest we're all crazy. But since when can we trust the internet?
 

So I decided to look to the writer I know best.

Maddie.

Yeah.

Here's what I found out.

1. I am bossy. But I'm the oldest sister. It's an unwritten law and I refuse to consider otherwise.
2. While I do like my time in the house, I am not at all afraid to go outside and get my mail.
3. I hate hand sanitizer.
4. I do not like cats any older than a month old, so there is no danger of me becoming a crazy cat lady.
5. I do like things to be just so, but I will occasionally let it be other people's so's. (Like when Minion 1 points out that I can't write about that guy because he died back in chapter six)
6. True to the internet version of a writer, I do talk about my characters as if they are real. BUT, I do not talk directly TO them.
7. I'm not crazy. *all my friends start shouting out evidence to the contrary*
8. So, I'm a little bit crazy, but so far, no one has screamed at me about it, so I guess I'm fine.
9. I will always play dress-up. And when I play, I will always be the prince/guard/knight guy. Because I've outgrown the princess dresses, and the Minions fail miserably when it comes to pretending to be charming.


I think we can safely conclude that writers are neither horrible (how could such great things as books come from something horrid?), nor are they completely out of their minds- they simply excuse themselves from sanity from time to time.

It's either that or I'm the friendliest, most normal writer in existence...That's a scary thought.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post, do you mind if I write a post using the same idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't mind at all. Write away! I'll come over and read your take on it :)

      Delete