Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Novel Idea

 
Yeah, that's me people.
 
I'm very late, but I'm going to do the two novel idea posts I've missed rolled into one.
I believe these are numbers 5 and 6 of the novel idea posts.
Here is the link to Ashley's blog post for the most recent set of questions.
 
I'll start with #5, which was about the character relationships.
This is the part where I confess that I'm completely stuck with The Iron Curse, and bored with the Dystopia story, so I'm falling back on The Dynamic Duo for a character and choosing Anthony.
 
 

1. How do they treat those around them, in general? Are they nice, rude, reserved? Does their treatment of others depend on how well they know them?

In general he's reserved toward people, but not exactly unfriendly. He works at a parts shop, so he deals with lots of customers, so it's not like he's anti-social. But he's not overly friendly. It really does depend on how well he knows people. If he knows someone is a slime ball, he's going to be a jerk to them.

Who is their best friend, or friends? Do they bring out the best in your character, or the worst? Are they a partner in crime, or a partner in good? ;)

Mark is for sure his best friend. He can bring out the best and worst in Anthony. He's often the voice of reason, and manages to calm Anthony down out of insane situations, but if Mark happens to get into a tough situation Anthony is going to do whatever it takes to get him out of that situation, and sometimes what he does isn't exactly the best option. Mark can also be a very great partner in crime.

Have they ever been in love? If so, did it last, or was it just a fling?

I can't tell you where I get my information, because Anthony would claim he's never told anyone this, but he has had a few flings. He's very careful not to fall in love, but he doesn't mind being entertained.

Who do they despise most?

That is a coin flipper between his dad and mom. He hates his dad for leaving him, but he can kind of understand it because he left to be with Mark and Mark's better mom. He despises his mom for being a complete loser and overlooking him forever, but still putting on shows for the outside world that she was a great mom.

Do they tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict altogether? If they avoid it, why?

Anthony doesn't avoid anything. If there's going to be an argument, he's going to dive in head first.

Alright, so now those questions are out of the way. These are yesterday's questions. Here's A Novel Idea, round six.

 
I like these. I don't have to think quite as much  to answer them. :) It's easier to answer questions for me than them.
 
1.What are 3 books you’ve read more than 3 times? Is there a reason you keep re-reading them? What do you think it is about these books that keeps bringing you back?
 
This is a hard question because when I was young I had literally 15 books that I read over and over again. Since I've been older I read Eldest, High Lonesome, and Clockwork Angel more than three times. I mainly re-read them because I'm in love with the characters. OR, I get into some kind of fandom argument and cant remember the exact details so I have to go back and refresh my memory ;). I think the characters are what bring me back. Once I've read the story, the plot looses excitement, but I love a character that sticks with me past the last page.
(Just for kicks, the books I re-read constantly as a youngster were The Sadie Rose Series, The Nathan T. Riggins series, and Christina's Ghost- which is still the most terrifying thing I've ever read)
 
2. What do you do when you get an idea for a plot, scene, etc, when you are at a place you can’t sit down to write it?

I find a pen and either scribble it out down my arm, or jot down a note on my ipod just so I can remember it for later. If I absolutely can't do either of those I'll just keep thinking about it and try to cement it in my mind and play it out in my head like a movie so I can remember it for later.

3. What do you think is your strongest suit as a writer? Do you make your characters believable, your plot interesting?

I think my strongest suit is probably the dialogue I write. Plot's come really hard for me, and sometimes I think I make my characters too cardboard, but I think the dialogue really helps pull them together. I can't say for sure, because I've never been able to read my writing fresh with no pre-conceived notions.

4. What genre of writing do you prefer to write?

This one is hard too (didn't I say these would be easier?). I really don't have a preference. I've developed a style for most of the genre's. I used to say I would never write a modern day story, but I have since wrote at least 3, and I like it now so...Up until I was about 13 I wrote only prairie fiction. Then I switched all of my attention to a fantasy that took 5 years to finish. Now I write pretty much anything but fantasy and prairie fiction. I write contemporary, medieval, and dystopia. Although...the ideas I've been getting lately will probably be throwing me back into my old genre's sooner or later.  Did I even answer that question?

5. What are your goals as a writer? Do you want to publish, or do you just do it for fun?

I always want to have fun with it, but my ultimate goal is to be published. Preferably by a real publisher with an agent and everything. If I had to self publish I would, but I'd like to make it traditional if at all possible.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linkup up for BOTH weeks! :D I loved your answers to everything here! :) I, too, really like the questions about writing style, since they're about me and I don't have to think quite as hard, even though they still make me think sometimes. I make these questions and sometimes I think, "Ugh, why'd I have to ask that? Now *I* have to answer it, too!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! You're welcome. I've done the same thing when I do character interviews. I'm like "you know you can't answer that. Don't ask it."

      Delete
  2. OMG CHRISTINA'S GHOST. I STILL HAVE THAT BOOK. I LOVE IT.
    (sorry, i get excited when people read the little-known books that i love.)
    http://words-inmysoul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have it too!!!! I actually read it not too long ago XP Love it.
      It's a great feeling isn't it? Happens so rarely :P

      Delete