Friday, August 29, 2014

Monday Minute Challenge

It's late, but this is my entry for the Monday Minute Challenge. I used all three prompts. The entry came out at   281  words long. Enjoy! Hopefully I'll be back to a more normal schedule starting next week.

I move into the parlor slowly, my eyes darting over the rich furniture. A piano takes up one corner, a vase if roses on top spreading their sweet smell throughout the room. One of them lays out on the vase on the slick, reddish wood. The perfectionist in me wants to reach out and right it, but I force my hand to the silver necklace at my throat instead. Stay focused Theresa, I scold myself, starting up the winding flight of stairs. 
I keep my ears alert for any sound, but the mansion is still. A long hallway stretches out in front of me, and I start down it, looking for his room. 
I stop at the last door. Jitters race through me as I reach for the brass doorknob. The door swing open silently and I move in. 
I'm greeted with a masculine, mint-like smell. I cross the lion hide rug and glance out the window to see the girls still peeking over the wall. A smile tugs my lips and I wave. They wave back, their grins clear from here. 
I jump at the sound of a door slamming downstairs. Where can I hide? In an instant I'm to the door, but steps are already coming upstairs. I look around the room frantically. I can't get caught here, in his room. We're not scheduled to be married for another six months. I only wanted to know more about him. 
I back up quickly but the door swings open and he walks in. Damon. The man I've only seen from a distance at a few social gatherings. The man I'm supposed to marry. 
He frowns at me. "Who are you?"

4 comments:

  1. This short story is really good! So intriguing and captivating.
    I've nominated you for the Sunshine Award.

    Carly @ Books and Etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm glad you liked it.
      Okay, thanks! I'll go check it out.

      Delete
  2. I really like that one. Good suspense and the ending is awesome, makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete