Thursday, January 22, 2015

Throw Back Thursday

Hi guys!
I had an idea the other day, and I'm going to try something new on the blog.
On Thursdays I'm going to do a throw back. I have hoards of my old stories, and I thought it might be fun to post snippets from the stories that came from the same year. I'm curious how my writing style has developed. My spelling has drastically improved, but I'm seeing that some of my preferences in characters have changed as well, but some haven't.
This is just an experiment, and I guess I'll see how you guys like it before I commit to it. It probably wont go on forever, as I only have so many stories, but I should be able to keep it up for a month or better if it turns out good.

*I kept the grammar and all that the same, but I did correct the spelling to save me and you great pain.


2003 (I'd be age 7)
Once upon a time there was a kingdom and there was a dragon. It was destroying the forest so the king sent his bravest knights, Sir Red and Sir Blue, to go to the dragons lair where they slayed the dragon. When they got back they were given red and blue medals, and lived happily ever after. The end.
Don't laugh at me. I have some stories from when I was younger, but my mom has them stuffed away in a file somewhere, so I'll have to do some hunting for them. This is the earliest one I have in my bedroom. I ripped it out of my old Elmo journal ^_^ From this (incredibly) short story, we can gather that I liked fantasy (Hey! I HAVE wrote a story with a dragon in it. I'll have to remember that on next years Appreciate A Dragon Day), and that I had no clue of romance. Otherwise the knights would have been given the Princess' hands in marriage or something like that. I also had no idea for description, or original names.
These all came from 2007. I would have been eleven years old.

Brett Johnson
As the boy topped the hill he stopped to rest his horse. It had been a long day. Nobody knew where he came from or who he was. All they knew was that he went from town to town, stayed a while, then moved on.
Life on the prairie
Lauren was only two years older than Susan, and yet she acted so grown up. Susan didn’t think she could ever act as grownup as Lauren when she turned thirteen.
Mary Ann and the Baby
When Mary woke up she was exhausted.
Mary Ann and the best Christmas
The December winds blew cold as Mary Ann Coleman trudged up the path to the house from the chicken shed with a basket of eggs. She walked through the door of the little cabin and took a deep breath of the sweet smelling air. She took off her boots, and heavy wool coat and hung it on a peg. She sat the eggs on the table and sat down. Her ma Elizabeth was making eggs and bacon for breakfast. Her pa Luke was tending the fire in the wood stove. Her two younger sisters were playing with their rag dolls. Jenny was six and a little shy, Lucy was seven and wanted to be a grownup. Mary’s older sister Clara was fifteen and worried about the way she looked all the time. Mary didn’t know why. The way she looked at it, you brush your hair and it just gets tangly again.

Wow. That was painful. From these snippets we can gather that I had begun to grasp some idea of description. Apparently though, I thought that 11 year olds were a lot older than they really are. All of these characters are 11 (like I was), but I can't think of a single eleven year old who could roam around the wild west and get hired and have a high old time like Brett did. I still share Mary's feelings for tangled hair, and waking up exhausted. I can also tell you that I was reading The Sadie Rose book series at that time, and that Mary Ann was almost a direct rip off of that story. Mary Ann would be better spelled plagiarism.
Well, that's all I have for the 2007 era! Let me know what you think of this idea :)

10 comments:

  1. Hahaha I love this. You were actually a really got writer at 11, but then I think you're right about 11 year olds being older than they really are, even if you were just referring to the characters in your stories. We treat them like they're small and not very smart, but in reality my 11 year old self did know things, and I guess they can write well too.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I agree. When I was 11, I was positive I could do those things, that's why I wrote them.

      Delete
  2. This is great, Maddie! I actually really admire you. It's so painful for me to look at my old writing. I usually avoid it all costs. Not that your writing then was bad, but I'm sure it's much different considering how much you've improved since then! Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's painful for me too. I've outright thrown away a few stories. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. This is a cool idea!

    I like the "Mary Ann and the Baby" one. I understand what she meant exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I actually had to find the old word version of that story, because I had burned the paper copy. It was 16 pages long and that was the best line I could find in it haha.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for putting your old stuff out there. I would have a hard time doing that. It's not bad either, it's actually really good considering how young you were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I searched long and hard for something halfway decent to post 0.o

      Delete
  5. Visiting from the GTW Link-up. Your snippets made me smile. :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete