Thursday, December 25, 2014

A Christmas Story

Hi guys! I wrote this short story for a contest over at Ravens and Writing Desks (which is still open for submissions by the way), but I thought I'd share it with you guys here as a special Christmas post. Hope you enjoy it! (My mouse on the computer broke, so I had to work this out on my iPod, so excuse the weird formatting and lack of a picture) Merry Christmas everyone!! Don't eat yourself sick  and remember the reason we celebrate. I'll be spending time with my family and grandma today.

Psalm 19:1

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

There is a song floating on the wind this night. My fellow stars, the moon, and all the heavenly bodies hum in happy praise. I join in with them, shining bright and happy. Something is about to happen.

I search the earth below me for the cause of the excitement racing through the skies. Shepherds nestled down with their fuzzy sheep. A couple traveling on the road leading into Bethlehem. Miles away from them, men pouring over scrolls and gazing up at us.  It all looks the same as other nights. But it is not the same. I know it is not. Never before, since my birth at the creation, have I felt the heavens so alive with anticipation.

I look closer at the sleepy world below. What is different? The shepherds are there every night. The men with scrolls have been watching us for months. The travelers perhaps? There have been many traveling lately, but not usually at night.

It takes me a moment to find them again. They have made it to the city. The man is standing outside the door to a building. An inn, I think.

I wish I could get closer. That is the problem with being a star. I can see nearly everything, but nothing very close.

The traveler’s donkey brays mournfully and the sound travels to me in the clear air. The woman leans on his neck. She looks tired. The man turns from the door, and his step is urgent when he returns to her. He takes the donkey’s lead in one hand, and puts the other around her shoulders. He handles her with care as he pulls her toward a stable. They disappear inside and are lost to me.

Curiosity pulses in me. The song continues around me. The air still crackles with joy. Why? What is going on?

I try to listen past the strange song, to the sounds of the night. A few restless lambs bleating, a shepherd’s soft murmur, a cry. It sounds like pain, but I cannot be sure. I have never been part of the feelings of the breathing creation. Where is the sound coming from? I try to see.

The shepherds do not seem to hear it, and the sheep are quiet now. Bethlehem then. I watch, but no one comes out of the inn, even though the crying continues. Maybe I am mistaken, and it is not pain I hear. Why would pain prompt this song? I do not understand.

As if signaled by my thoughts, the music builds to a crescendo, filling the heavens with joy so loud I want to forget my wonders and join in. Before I can start, everything goes silent. The music stops and the world seems to hold it’s breath. What...?

A sound pierces the night air. The strong, clear noise of a baby cry.

All the heavenly bodies draw closer to hear. I hope to catch some kind of view of whatever is happening.

So intent am I on the little stable that I am startled when the messenger glides to my side. His glow is enough to match mine, and he smiles when he sees he has my attention. “Shine, little Bachir. Almighty God has chosen you to mark the place of His Son.”

I want to ask questions. Why me? How long? Who is His Son? But he shakes his head and flies off.

I do as he said, shining brighter and watching his path as he wings down to the shepherds. The sheep do not seem to mind him at all, but the shepherds jump to their feet and I can hear their frightened voices.

I listen to the angel’s message to them.

“Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.”

Great joy, Bethlehem, a savior born. Excitement tingles in me at the words. A savior. The savior the world has been waiting for since the fall? The promised one? It must be. I wish I could see.

Suddenly, more angels fly by me, congregating with the one who told me to shine. Hundreds of them. Thousands. More than I can try to number. They begin to sing and the sound shames that of my fellow stars.

I sparkle, and we all add our voices to it, praising our Creator for all we have been witnessing.

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”

The shepherds scramble, bundling their things together and abandoning their sheep as they start for Bethlehem. I examine the fluffy white creatures. They look happy too, as if they understand what is happening. I do not think they will wander away.

Activity pulls my attention from them to the east. The men who watch the stars are crowding together, pointing excitedly. Pointing at me. I wonder if they know why I am shining so bright tonight. I can see them examining the charts, and the other stars around me. They should not mind me. I am shining for the savior. The one who has come to redeem men and set us free from the curse.

After awhile, they leave their lookout and I see someone run out to get some camels saddled. Then all goes still there. When I look back to Bethlehem, the shepherds have made it to the stable and I see the couple standing in the doorway. The woman looks different now, and she is holding a small bundle.

The shepherds crowd around and I strain to see. The bundle turns slightly and I glimpse a face. The tiny, wrinkled face of an infant. But I know him.

My center self warms and I pulse with energy. I know him. He was the one who brought all things into creation. He was there when I was named and numbered. His is the savior. The Son of God in heaven.

            Now the name given to me makes sense. Bachir. Chosen.

Joy overwhelms me and I shine with all my might, joining my voice with all nature to welcome Him.



(All Bible verses from the King James Version. Psalm 19:1, Luke 2: 10-12, 14.)

No comments:

Post a Comment