Monday, December 29, 2014

The One- A Book Review

And I'm back for another book review. It's another end of the series book.
The One by Kiera Cass
 
 
(goodreads)
 
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.
  
 
♥♥♥♥
This book killed me.
It was such an emotional train wreck for me. Half the time I was screaming at America to pull her head out and grow up, and when I wasn't screaming at her, I was screaming at Maxon.
(I never did scream at Aspen, except to say I love you)
It was frustrating, but not in a way that made me want to quit reading. It was just so easy to get emotionally invested in their lives and then freak out when I thought they were going to ruin things.
I had a couple problems with the book.
There was quite a bit more cussing in this one than I remember being in the first two books.
And there were a few romantic scenes that were a little hotter than the others got. It wasn't terrible. There was no sex or anything like that, but some people might be uncomfortable with the level of touchy-feely kissy stuff that was in it. If you don't like that sort of thing it was easy to see coming and skip over.
I did have the end spoiled for me before I started the book, but I sort of hoped it wasn't true.
I guess if America had to end up with that boy then the ending was good.
Let me put it this way, the ending was very well done, I was just rooting for the other boy.
Overall I did love the book. The humor in it was hilarious and there were several twists and flat out shockers that I did not expect.
I'm actually looking forward to reading The Heir now.
Of course, Minion 1 has first dibs on it, so I'll have to wait before I get to find out how on earth one girl handles 35 suitors.
That's got to be either bucket loads of fun, or hoards of trouble.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you read it! I thought America was a lot better in this book, at least not half as bad as she was in the Elite. The sexual scenes and cussing bugged me too. I liked the ending and hated it at the same time. Though I do love Maxon, the love triangle conclusion was a tad bit confusing.
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Haha, that's funny, I had the exact opposite impression of her in this book. Yeah, it wasn't needed. I understood how the love triangle ended, but still, I would love for one of my boys to win out, just once.

      Delete