Monday, December 15, 2014

Beautiful Books- Grand Finale

Here is the final round of questions for Beautiful Books, over at Further up and Further in !
I have loved this version of the linkup. Here's my final thoughts on Running Crazy!



The Questions


On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), how well do you think this book turned out?
So far I'd only rate it about a six, just because I still have a lot of research to do, so there are several parts that aren't as descriptive as they should be, and a couple of my characters don't have very clear voices yet.

Have you ever rewritten or edited one of your books before? If so, what do you do to prepare yourself? If not, what’s your plan?
I've done minor editing, but have yet to do a full overhaul of a manuscript. Usually though I just run through spell check first, and then start reading the whole thing. I might print it out and take it along with me so I can jot down notes on what needs fixed.

What’s your final word count? Do you plan to lengthen or trim your book? 
Well the Nano website says 39078, but it's actually like 41 thousand because I fell asleep the last night before I updated the word count. The story isn't finished though, so it will end being much longer (hopefully).

What are you most proud of? Plot, characters, or pacing?
I think I'm going to have to go with plot on this one, though I do love my characters. They're just not clicking the way they're supposed to, so I've had to demote them.

What’s your favorite bit of prose or line from this novel?
.....I don't know yet. I have no clue what is even in the story honestly, I just wrote on it like a woman possessed. The whole thing could be complete junk when I go back and read through it.

What aspect of your book needs the most work? 
Characters!

What aspect of your book is your favourite?
The romance.

How are your characters? Well-rounded, or do they still need to be fleshed out?
I may have mentioned before, that they need some meat on their literary bones.

If you had to do it over again, what would you change about the whole process?
I would have pushed through and wrote more on the days I didn't feel like it. I think I would have made the word count if I had.

Did anything happen in the book that completely surprised you? Have any scenes or characters turned out differently to what you planned? Good or bad?
Nothing has completely surprised me. Donny and Chloe have turned out a little different than I thought, and so has both Reeve and Amy's relationships with their parents.

What was the theme and message? Do you think they came across? If not, is there anything you could do to bring them out more?
I'm really not sure what the theme/message is just yet. I usually don't think of those until I read through the first draft, then I pick up on threads I weaved through the whole story and tweak them a little to draw them out more.
Do you like writing with a deadline (like NaNoWriMo) or do you prefer to write-as-it-comes?
I get way more done when I have a deadline, but I do favor writing as it comes, that way I can jump from story to story.

Comparative title time! What published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men.)
Well, Minion 2 keeps telling me that the story is just like October Baby...she hasn't read a single scrap of it, so I don't know how she came to that conclusion, but there are a few similarities. I'm really not sure what to compare it to though. Check back with me once it's finished.

How do you celebrate a finished novel?!
Squeal and talk about it nonstop till my family wishes they were deaf. Then find someone who wants to read it.

When people are done reading your book, what feeling do you want them to come away with?
I want their souls.
No, but seriously. I want them to have the same feeling I do when I finish a book I love. I want them to have that sad ache that's oddly happy. Because they loved it, and now it's over.







No comments:

Post a Comment