Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Iron Curse Update and Wrap-up

Hello, lovely readers!
The other day I mentioned that I had finished The Iron Curse, and then I realized that I hadn't officially told you guys, and let you know how it turned out and all that jazz.

So this is that post.
Official Notice:
The Iron Curse is done.

I finished it a week ago give or take. It's a bit over 17,000 words, and I am quite thrilled with the way it turned out.

Skye was awesome and read it for me, and then Minion 1 also read it for me (I had to hound Minion 1 though- Skye volunteered)

Their advice was helpful. If at times blunt- Minion 1 told me my ending was lame and she wouldn't let me send it in until I had re-wrote it. She couldn't exactly tell me what about it was lame- she just knew it was lame.

I did manage to tweak the ending a bit to satisfy us both, and I sent it in to Rooglewood Press.
I admit I was ridiculously excited to get the confirmation email that said they got it and someone was going to read it. I was stoked.

I am so excited for this contest. I got to read Skye's take on the story as well, and it was SO good. I'm definitely hoping her's gets chosen, because you all have got to read it. It was amazing.

I'm also hoping for myself over here.
*selfish and unashamed*

Here's a few parting snippets for you guys. I figure on the off chance mine makes it into the final five, I'll lose my rights to the story, so I'd better share it with you while I can....I think I would buy them back if that happened. I love Carrick....

Anyway-


“When I was thirteen, some friends and I were playing and a woman came by the gates. She asked me to come over, but I told her no and called her an ugly old witch.”
“Was she?”
The question surprised Carrick and pulled a smile from his lips. “She was truly hideous.” His smile faded. “And a witch, as it turned out."



Carrick’s eyebrows pulled together. “Why aren’t you surprised by any of this? I just told you about a supernatural occurrence.”
Bellatrae lifted a shoulder. “I was educated, you know. In an old history book, I learned that magic was banned two hundred years ago. Then one hundred years ago they started teaching that magic doesn’t exist.” She looked at him pointedly. “Why would they go through the trouble of banning something that doesn’t exist?”
Carrick shook his head. “You know, you are the first one to ever mention that discrepancy?”
“People are willing to be blind to things they don’t wish to acknowledge.”
Carrick smiled a little. “You would have done well in court.”

The grass was starting to lose it’s vibrant green color, and the air was turning cool. Carrick led her across the yard toward the back of the castle. Rose bushes guarded the foundations and a few blossoms stood in rebellion against the changing seasons.
“I don’t know why we bother with the metal ones when the real flowers are so beautiful.” Bellatrae said, a mournful note in her voice.
Carrick nodded. “To prove that we can make things just as good as what is around us.” He reached for a butterfly setting on one of the petals and wound the key between its wings to set it flying. “Why bother feeding and tending to real animals when you can use an automated one? Before my parents sent me here, I was starting to study Hamlin’s first volume. He said that people will willingly live in a prison, if you paint the walls to look like outside and there’s a nice sofa to watch the view from. But the walls are still stone and the bars are still iron.”
Josef nodded and Thomas grinned. “And what will happen after that?”
Carrick shrugged. “We’ll live happily ever after.”
Josef frowned. “Bellatrae says we don’t know there’s an ever after until the story is over.”
He glanced at her and she smiled. “I believe in this one.”

4 comments:

  1. How exciting for you!! Keep us updated as to what happens :) I loved the snippets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve to win Maddie, your story was top notch, and that first snippet. I laugh every time, I love it. You are so sweet, THANKS :D, I have my fingers crossed for both of us. You changed the ending! What, can I read the new end? I am so happy you did this contest, thanks for your help too, you caught things my friend missed. Your sister sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm kind of panicked cause when I went to post snippets I discovered a misspelled word and I think I should have had the clock on ten not nine at first but I don't know, I'd have to do the math again. I had fun writing that one :) I did change it a bit, emily said there wasn't enough emotion when he got healed, so I tweaked it. Yes, I'll send it to you. Oh I loved your story. They have to choose it. You're welcome! She is. I love when she reads my stuff. Even if it is frustrating.

      Delete