Monday, December 22, 2014

Monster- A Book Review

Hi all! Today I am reviewing Monster by Mirriam Neal. I finished this book close to a month ago, but I haven't had the emotional stability, nor the time to write a review on it. But today I shall attempt it.

This is what Goodreads has to say about it, since me trying to explain it would just go like
 "kjkldjfkajfkjgfkajgkdj!!!!"
 
The year is 2053, and the world is recovering from a Morbus, a plague that swept across the globe, destroying millions of lives. Eva Stewart is a promising young WorldCure scientist assigned to a facility in Alaska where she is made a Handler and given her own human Subject for research and experimentation. What she believes to be a step up in her career becomes a nightmare when she discovers writing on her Subject’s cell wall. "I still have a soul." Soon Eva is drawn into a horrific plot kept quiet by WorldCure, and as everything she knew collapses around her, she must discover the truth behind her Subject, her beliefs, and herself.
The cover says "I still have a soul" and maybe he does, but I don't.
This book ripped it out and shredded it.
 
 
I'm giving this book five (broken) hearts.
♥♥♥♥♥
I've never read a book at all like this. The science involved was intriguing, and completely believable even though it was set so far in the future.
I loved the characters, SO much. One of the guys in the book made it onto my "favorite fictional guy" list (I'm not revealing who). I fell in love with Eva from the first chapter, and her Subject completely freaked me out. Pocky was hilarious. I love him. Enough said.
As for the plot...wow. The whole idea was amazing, and every time I thought I had figured out where the story was going, it took another twist. Some of those twists threw me into the wall and left me sniffling pathetically. There were actually a couple times I had to stop reading it for a few days just to try and collect my scattered emotions. But oh, the plot was great. It was so great.
The message in the story was touching. So many themes about human life, and morality, but never once did the book sound 'preachy'. Even as a Christian I cant stand it when books try to shove the Bible at me in a nutshell. This book didn't do that at all. But the messages came across so clear. 
Basically,  everything about this book was great. It was great. Go read it.
....
I suppose I'm supposed to have some constructive criticism to make this review believable...
Um...
There was a typo....I think. But honestly, what book doesn't have any?
I could say that the ending crushed me, but it was so well done I can't even fault anyone for it. All things considered, it was a very satisfying ending.
 
As far as 'mature content' goes, there was nothing in this book that bothered me at all, but I know some of my blog readers are a little more conservative with what they read, so here is everything I can think of that might bother some readers.
 
The story has moments that are somewhat gruesome. There are torture scenes, and bloody operations, and things like that.  
There was zero language in the book.
There was talk of two Subjects being bred, but nothing graphic.
 
There you have it! I loved this book. It has prompted more ranting facebook posts than any book I've read lately, and that's a very good thing.
 
Also, Mirriam is awesome and posted a Monster short story on her website. It's amazing. If you haven't read the book yet, don't read it though. It's chuck full of spoilers.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read Monster, because everyone keeps raving about it :)

    ReplyDelete