Thursday, September 11, 2014

Husker Mudding Days

 
Hi guys!
Today I went to Husker Harvest Days. It's the world's largest farm show.
And it's about 45 minutes from my house.
There's lots of boring stuff there like combines and pivot tires, but there's also lots of food, and free stuff, like the XL Chevy t-shirt I got. I'm going to turn it into a dress I think.
 
You're probably wondering what the top picture has to do with my post today, huh? Well, it wasn't snow and blizzard, but it was mud and rain. Lots of it. The parking lot was one big soupy mess. There was no grass left anywhere and there wasn't a clean vehicle to be found for miles. That wasn't at all unusual. It rains every year during Husker Harvest Days. People come wearing irrigating boots, and the businesses give away free rain ponchos. But yesterday, they cancelled the show. It was unbelievable. Nebraska is a land of 4 wheel drive vehicles and half crazy men who think they can go through anything. You don't just cancel HHD because of some mud. That's unheard of. We heard it on TV yesterday and really had a rough time accepting the news. We had planned to go to town that day to see everything. What was our world coming to? Had overly cautious folks in two wheel drive vehicles taken over without our knowing? So today we loaded up to go see for ourselves. Dad's pickup wouldn't start, so we figured we'd take Mom's Tahoe. It has 4 wheel drive. It will be no problem.
So we thought.
 
We got there and suddenly we realized why they had cancelled the show yesterday. The cornfield/pasture parking lot had turned into a swamp. Water everywhere. 4 wheel drive Gators were having to pull people out of the mud, and smashing in bumpers all over the place. (My mom would have been terrified we even brought her vehicle into that place) But, we figured we'd be fine and found a parking spot.
 
Mostly HHD is a lot of walking, and dodging people, so I don't have any great details to tell you except to let you know the Kettle Korn is a must if you ever come. (And it's not unheard of for out of state people to come. People from out of country come every year.)
 
While cell phones and texting weren't working I did manage to run into Noah from prom...actually he ran into me. Almost literally. But anyway, I saw him there. He let us know that he would pull us out for free if we got stuck, and he would be sure not to smash my mom's bumper (because he knows she'd hunt him down if he did, and there is nothing anyone could do to stop her. She's kind of in love with that rig)
 
It rained on us all day long and, call me a wimp, I was freezing cold.
You'll have to call everyone else there wimps too though, because everyone there was dang cold, so we left a little bit earlier than usual.
 
My dad drove us out of there in what could be called a duck and dodge type fashion. If there was a gap between vehicles that had grass instead of quicksand, he shot through it. Look out pedestrians.
He calls stuff like that the Test of Manhood.
Even if you're a girl.
If you've ever watched Braveheart, you get that reference.
 
All in all it was a fun day. I'm now in dry clothes and feeling much better about the world at large, and my faith in Husker Nation's red necked driving abilities are restored.
 
chevy trucks mudding wallpaper 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds....different. Really different to what I'm used to. We don't get *extremes* of anything where I come from - the closest we get to this is the local Flower Show (which bucked all the trends this year by being blazing sunshine for the three days - first time EVER) ...but that's all a little bit more sedate (although the largest onion competition can get fierce, I'm told!) Anyway, thanks for your comment on my BP link-up. I left a reply there, since blogger doesn't allow tracked comments then I wasn't sure you'd pick it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is different. We can literally go from Antarctica one day to Sahara desert the next. Wow! Haha. That sounds like it would be fun XP
      You're welcome. I wish blogger would let us track. It would make my life easier haha.

      Delete