Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My 100-4-100 Story

Hello guys! (I don't care if you're a girl. I will automatically lump you all into the guy category)
As you know, I've been doing the 100 for 100 challenge over at Go Teen Writers, and so far things are going smashingly. I decided to start a new story for the challenge, and I thought today I would take the time to show you a little bit of the storyworld, and maybe share a few snippets.

Thus far the story doesn't have a name other than RP Fantasy, as I got the idea for the main character from a guy I made for a roleplay about a year ago. It will hopefully be the first part of a trilogy, so I will eventually have to come up with three spectacular titles.

 
The summary of book one (Which I will be adding to My Stories tab) goes something like this.
 
Creed of Kein has grown up in the palace court under the care of his uncle, the King of Nequaf. He is currently the only natural born human magician, and therefore has some advantage over the schooled magicians, making himself a valuable political pawn.
When King Urijah declares war on the country of Pajjitz for their oil and advanced science developments, he enlists Creed's help in achieving the victory.
An injury and unusual activity along the border Nequaf shares with the elf kingdom sends Creed away from the front lines and off to investigate.
Along the way he encounters terrifying creatures such as dragons, the vicious beings known as Carqulups, and teenage girls.
 
That is a rough summary, but most of my ideas right now are for the second and third book.
I had tons of fun building the world for this story, and was able to add more details for it than I have with previous fantasy stories I've written. Creating the names was really fun with Google Translate, and it was fun drawing the map and then trying to figure out why they have five giant watch towers built along the edge of the mountains.
 
Here is a look at a few of the characters.

Creed:

 
I haven't quite pegged down what he looks like. Every picture I find is just a little too old, or Hispanic, or Murtagh. But I think you can get the gist of what he's supposed to look like.
 
Princess Nalik, and Lady Alize:
 
Nalik looks a little younger than this girl, but they're very similar. Nalik tends to be forceful and Alize is more of a giggler.
Both of which cause massive loss of vocabulary and thought processing for Creed.
 
Rafe:
 
Creed's goofy best friend.
 
Master Adekin
 
Creed's magic instructor is a small, artist type. He and I can't decide who he looks like for sure...
 
The elf girls, Mica and Silby
 
(Please don't kill be for using Kristen Stewart. She fit the part.)
Mica is the quiet one, though she can be feisty.
Silby is feisty all the time.
 
 
Extras:

 
I'm still working out all the details, but if Creed gets a brother it will be Mr. Dude on the Left.
And I'm thinking I need a sheriff, but his motives aren't certain, so he will be Mr. Creepi-ish smiler on the right.
 
 
 
Since it's no fun to go through all this and not share a few snippets, here you go. I will warn you that 'few' is the key word here, as I haven't been writing at it very long, and I'm only required to pound out 100 words a day. I think I've got just slightly over 2,000 words done so far.
Still, something is better than nothing.
 
Smoke billowed up from the rich, tasseled rug. Creed held his sleeve over his nose and stomped on the hungry flames. "Dog's blood!" He hissed, grinding his heel over a stray ember.
"Creed of Kein!"
Creed looked up from the charred carpet, his dark eyebrows knitting together. "Master Adekin." He mimicked his teachers exasperated tone.
"That rug cost someone a season's labor in the ports." His instructor sank into a worn chair in the corner.
"Well, then they should have kept it with them if it's worth so much."
 
"I came to get you for the banquet." Rafe paused and shifted his gaze behind Creed's shoulder. "If Master Adekin is through with you, that is."
The man stood. "Oh yes, I am quite through with him. For today, anyway."
Creed grinned and moved toward the door. Rafe's youthful face lit up with laughter as he followed him out. "He looks tired, Creed."
Creed nodded, descending the stairs. "Yes. I may have put him through a bit of an ordeal. I'm sure he'll recover quickly. What sort of banquet is this again?"
"For the advisors." Rafe filled in patiently. "Not too large."
"Any dancing?" Creed quizzed, taking the hall right, toward his chambers.
"Not likely, unless Princess Nalik insists on it. Alize will probably be there, so they might join forces against us."
"Janko forbid."
Rafe chuckled. "I think Janko planned for men and women to interact, back at the creation."
 
Creed straightened right into a puff of Spice from a bottle Rafe wielded. He coughed and backed away. "How many times must I tell you I hate wearing that blazed perfume?"
"It's not perfume, its Spice."  Rafe said calmly. "And young ladies like it."
"All the more reason to keep the stuff away from me." Creed huffed and headed for the door.
"Well you need to interact with them sometimes, or people will think something's missing in your brain. You should like girls my now."
"I do like girls." Creed shrugged. "I just don't know what to do with them."
"Um speak, laugh. Make friends. Acknowledge their existence. Difficult things like that." Rafe came along side him, slinging his arm over his shoulder. "You need to figure it out. You're seventeen. Most men are married by then."
"You're not." Creed elbowed him.
Rafe moved away slightly. "I've courted several though. My father just keeps choosing gigglers, and I cant stand a giggling female. Any other peculiarity I am willing to endure."
 
So, that's what I've been working on lately. Hope you enjoy it!  

4 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I love it<3
    Wish you all the best with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Murtagh. But I have to admit that Eragon is always saying in the back of my brain, chanting, "read me!" I have to obey someday. I've only watched the movie.
    Hope you have a great time with the challenge! It sounds fun!

    Carly @ Books and Etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read it! The movie does it zero justice.
      Thanks!

      Delete