Friday, September 19, 2014

Job Applications

I submitted another job application this week, to a farm store called Orscheln.
(Yes, that is spelled right)
Proof.

Did you know that applications are a confusing thing for me?
Everyone fills these things out at some point,
And the questions are all about me,
Yet somehow I have the hardest time with them.
Something about job applications makes me forget even the simplest things about myself.

Imagine, if you will, me sitting hunched over a piece of paper and coming to the part that wants to know what my nationality is.

"White. I'm white right? Mom, you said we had Polish background. Why is there no Polish here? What is going on? My whole life is a lie!"



That's just about how it goes. Or the part where it asks for you work experience.

"Work? I've been working my whole life. On a farm. Chasing cows where they don't want to go. Scooping two rows of mowed hay into one row of mowed hay. And changing sets of water to fields of beans and corn. I totally have work experience....oh wait...Work title? Manager? Hourly wage??"

The part that really gets me is when it asks for you to tell a little about yourself to help them make a choice.
It's like...what do I say?
The first time my mom told me to "Sell myself. Make yourself sound good."
So I was like, "Okay, let's see..."




(No. I'm not a huge Jace Wyland Morgenstern Herondale etc. fan. I've never even read his series or seen his movie. I do however, fancy his great grandfather (a few times removed), so it is only natural that I would brush up on him a bit. He obviously speaks my soul's language)

Have you ever had to fill out a job application? Do you get lost in the maze of boxes to check and dotted lines to sign?

 










No comments:

Post a Comment