Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Iron Curse Update

Hello all! I have news!
The Iron Curse is back in business!

I'd been struggling with it for weeks. Every time I sat down to write on it I only got about a sentence added. The story just wasn't clicking for me. 

I consulted Minion 1 since she's my go to when I need plotting help. She knows basically nothing about the story though and just have me a blank look and a few "do what you wants." 

So I decided to play with it a little. I took a day and just word built on it. I'd known the gist of what the world was like to begin with, but I took the time to write it down and add more to it. And that really helped. I was starting to like the story again. I researched Whales, and Ireland, and London for weather and landscape because I wanted my world to be similar. 
Something still wasn't quite right though. I like Bellatrae a lot, but she's a very sensible girl and she gets dull when it's only her logical point of view. I wanted a fresh voice to balance her off. 

So I consulted my Pinterest board I've made for the story. What characters did I have at my disposal? Where could I add another? I considered a fiancĂ©, a friend, but didn't like them. Then I came to the picture I'd pinned for the beast. 

And I had it.
The beast would get a point of view in this story. 

And so Carrick was created.

It took me a full day to find him a name. I scrolled through all manner of Welsh and Irish boy names...some of those names...poor little lads that had to live with them. 

Carrick isn't a bubbly sort of guy, but he's passionate. He's just as serious as Bellatrae, but he can fly into a fit of emotion at any time. He's unpredictable that way. He's energetic. He's also quite the tortured soul (he's under a curse after all, and the beast of the story, so he kind of has to be). I have absolutely fallen in love with him. 

I have several thousand words and several scenes worth of Bellatrae's side written already, so lately I've been filling in Carrick's scenes in between, and I'm certain that he is just the remedy for my lack of enthusiasm. I should be done playing catch up with him shortly and able to continue on with Bellatrae's portion alongside his, and I'm very excited. 

I'm sorry to say, I don't really have anything ultra fun to post in the way of snippets just yet, but fear not, they will come soon.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to figure it out. My beast was extremely hard to flesh out, so I understand the thrill when something finally clicks. Just from your pinterest board I know it's going to be great. I love that you're adding the steam punk element its very unique.

    ReplyDelete